Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Blake ran as fast as he could through the empty hallways of the hospital. Not very many people were visiting today on account of the recent events happening at St. Micheal's. News had spread fast through the small town of New Coven, and the majority of the townsfolk were staying away. Blake wanted to get this over with as quickly as possible so that he could return to Alice's bedside.

He was having a hard time keeping calm, Blake could still feel Alice's lips on his. They were so soft and perfect. Blake knew he would get a scolding from Tess later, the look on her face as he had left was enough to tell him as much. But he didn't care one whit. Blake was a little worried for Alice, however, wondering now if that had been the best thing to do to her. He still didn't even know if she had feelings for him or not, and he truly hoped he hadn't upset her by his actions. Still, he couldn't help but smile at what he had just done.

On his way up to see Dr. Willub, Blake began to think about his last few days with Alice, and all that had transpired. Never had he had such feelings for a woman, and certainly not within such a short period of time. Alice probably thought he was a loon, some egotistical doctor that thought he could take advantage of her given her past experiences. He hoped that maybe during her stay at his home, he could convince her otherwise. He hadn't even asked Alice if she would mind moving in with him. The thought hadn't even crossed his mind. The more Blake thought, the more nervous he became. He had never been one for dating, mostly for lack of time. Being a doctor, even in such a small town, was a very time consuming job. Blake began to ponder what it meant to love someone. Yes, he could say without a doubt that he loved Alice. But there were so many different ways to define the word 'love'.

Mostly, he thought his love for Alice was something more than what most people meant by love. Blake had grown fond of Alice, was protective of her, and mostly wanted to get to know her as quickly as possible. What was her favorite food, movie, book? Did she enjoy walks or just sitting by the fireplace on a cold night? All these questions he wanted answers to, and more. Yes, having her in his bed would be more than he could imagine. But, he knew even if it never happened, he would still love Alice. He wanted to show her the world, and be there with her as she saw all the new sights around her. Assuming her vision would come back. Truly, he hoped that it would. It would be such a shame if her only memories of the outside world were of St. Micheal's and that lone walk out to the cove. Alice had been through so much already, becoming permanently blind should not be added to the list.

Finally, Blake reached Dr. Willub's office door. He gave it a quick knock, and waited for a response. “Yes, yes, come in.” He heard Dr. Willub shout through the door. Blake entered, making sure to shut the door tightly behind him. He certainly didn't want eavesdroppers snooping in on his plans for Alice. This had to be kept a private matter between a select group of people. Blake sincerely hoped that everyone would agree to his new arrangements.

“Dr. Willub, may I have a moment of your time?” Blake asked, approaching his desk.

“Dr. Hansen, I was beginning to wonder when you would come for a visit! Its been ages, come sit.” Dr. Willub was an extremely portly man, filling his chair to the brim. Every Christmas Dr. Willub volunteered as the local shopping store Santa, and performed his job admirably. Being short in stature didn't help his appearance in the least. Standing at a full five foot eight inches, Dr. Willub looked like a walking, talking potato. Still, he was a great doctor, and had been serving the New Coven community for almost forty years.

Blake sat down in one of the plush leather chairs on the other side of Dr. Willub's desk. Nervously, he began stalling, not wanting to let Dr. Willub know of his scheme just yet. They talked for a few minutes about unimportant matters, and Blake tried to get a feel for Dr. Willub's mood.