Chapter Fifty-Three

Chapter Fifty-Three

Blake sped home on his motorcycle, the only available transportation he had now that his car was in the shop. Thankfully, he had no more tears to cry out, which kept his vision from blurring the road on the way home. Holly opened the door, just as Blake was about to unlock it with his key. She threw her arms around his neck, embracing him warmly. “Oh Blake, I heard the news. It's so sad.” Blake gently pushed her away and went inside without saying a word. Once inside his house, he threw his helmet down on the sofa and went upstairs to hide.

No amount of Holly's sympathy would make Blake feel better. All he wanted now was Alice's comfort. Blake felt his world crumbling around him as he crawled into his bed, and the only person he knew could save him from crumbling with it was Alice. Holly knocked a few times, but Blake ignored her. He wanted her to leave, no longer needing her support for his run at Willub's old job. He could care less now, whether he got it or not.

Holly finally gave up hope of entering Blake's room, and went downstairs to sit and think. She had worked so hard to get Blake into her good graces, and now everything seemed to have fallen apart. She checked her phone again, wondering why Sam hadn't called her yet with any news. Maybe she would call him, but on second thought, Sam always seemed angry when she called him instead of the other way around. He was a piece of work, someone Holly probably shouldn't have gotten involved with in the first place. But now, she knew too much to just walk away.

Instead of calling, Holly placed her cell on the table next to her, and lied down, returning her thoughts back to Blake. She had been so close, and at times had even thought that Blake was beginning to love her. All she wanted was for him to get that stupid job and marry her. Was that really so much to ask for? She could deal with living in this shit-hole of a small town, if her name was held with some authority over others. Being with wife of the head of St. Micheal's would have placed her pretty far up on the elite list. It probably would even have given her access to larger prospects.

If Blake got the job, he would have to travel a lot, and of course, Holly would insist on joining him. Maybe if he saw how nice bigger cities were, she would finally be able to talk him into relocating. Then he could get another job at another hospital, some place nice. Someplace with class, and art, and a night life.

The door bell rang, pulling Holly away from her mullings. Holly answered it, only to find Alice standing on the other side of the door. She couldn't help but sneer, knowing now why Blake had been so cold with her. “Wow, you don't wait long, do you?” Alice only gave her a confused look before asking to come in. Holly shrugged her shoulders and made way for Alice to walk inside. “He's upstairs, you know the way.” Once Alice was safely out of ear shot, Holly grabbed her phone off the table and dialed Sam's number. Sam answered in seconds.

“What?” He sounded angry as usual.

“Alice is here.”

“I know, I'm sitting right outside.”

“Well you told me to call if she ever showed up again. So now what do you want me to do?”

“Nothing.”

“Nothing? What do you mean nothing? This wasn't in the plan.”

“The plan has been shot. There is nothing more we can do but sit and wait. The less commotion we make right now, the better. Just let them talk, and hopefully Alice will leave soon. She knows she's running out of time.”

“What if she tries to stay the night?”

“She won't.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“For one, I doubt Alice will leave Hank home alone tonight. Second, she never goes out after dark by herself, and so long as you don't offer her a ride, she'll be forced to leave before the sun goes down.”