Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six

Seeing Holly again for the first time in over a year reminded Blake of how much he disliked her. Having Alice to compare to, Holly was now settled nicely at the bottom of Blake's priority list. After Alice had graciously left Blake and Holly alone in the kitchen, Holly set into Blake like a wild fire. At one point in his life, her words would have probably hurt him deeply, but now Blake's mind could only think about Alice having to listen to Holly's rant as it echoed through the house.

Holly was, of course, acting like a child as she began calling Blake every hurtful name she could think of, and Blake was pretty sure she had made a few of them up on the spot. “How could you do this to me?” Holly screamed as she attempted of shove Blake away.

“Oh come on Holly. You know that we were never going to work out, we don't have anything in common. You don't even really like me.”

“It's not about liking you. My father was the best lawyer in Maine, and your father was the best doctor. It's kismet.”

“Kismet?”

“Fate you numbskull. We could be the most influential couple around. Moving to Seattle would make it even better. Don't you get it? This isn't about love, its about power. How you could ever attach yourself to that raggedy mutt is beyond me.”

“Don't you dare talk about Alice that way. She's more of a human being than you'll ever be.”

“Come on Blake, don't play dumb. You really think she's going to stay with someone like you once she gets the ability to leave on her own. You're pathetic! She's only here to spend your money, get some free rent, and hopefully pork her doctor, and once you're tapped dry, she'll be gone. And when that happens, don't bother to come looking for me, cause you can bet your ass I'm not gonna be standing here waiting for you.”

Her screaming continued even as she moved around the house having her huge meltdown. Eventually, Holly made her way upstairs and ran into Blake's bedroom in order to grab a few of her clothes from his closet. As she left his room, she slammed the door shut, causing Blake's family portrait to fall from its place at the top of the stairs. Anger roiled inside of Blake when he heard the glass frame shatter, and he immediately insisted that Holly leave the house. She slapped him across the face hard, before turning and bolting downstairs for her luggage.

Holly left via the front door, only to realize she had no transportation to get to a hotel for the night. The last thing she wanted was to go back inside and call for a cab, so instead she reached for her cell phone. Running though the long list of numbers, Holly finally found the one she wanted. It had been just over four years since Holly had broken up with the man she was about to call, in order to start dating Blake, but deep down Holly knew he still had a thing for her. Sam answered on the third ring, and agreed to come pick her up as soon as he could. Holly sat down on the porch swing and waited for her ride, wondering how long it was going to take before Blake realized he had made a huge mistake.

Their fight had taken just over an hour from start to finish, and after Holly's departure from his home, Blake raked his fingers though his hair and attempted to calm himself down before going in to check on Alice. He knew that Alice had probably heard most of the fight, and was embarrassed beyond belief about the entire situation. His anger cooled only a fraction as he knocked on Alice's door and went in, seeing her beautiful face once again. She gave him an understanding smile, one that told him everything was just fine.

Blake felt alive for the first time in years. Most of it was from the adrenaline that was still coursing though his system, and the rest came from Alice's presence. Everything around Blake seemed to glow and sparkle, and it became hard to concentrate on anything but Alice's face. Her soft blue eyes glimmered softly from the glow of her bedside lamp, and her cheeks flushed into a rosy shade of pink as she noticed the mark across Blake's face.