Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four

Making breakfast for Blake was going to be Alice's little way of saying 'thank you' to him for letting her stay at his house. It had turned out to be quite fun what with food fight and all. Blake was being so kind to her, and Alice was surprised when he told her that their shopping trip was still going to happen. Alice almost felt bad for Holly, almost. She couldn't help but get excited as Blake pulled his car into the parking lot of the mall. The entire place was decorated for Christmas, and she was honestly getting into the Christmas spirit.

Blake helped Alice out of the car and pushed her towards the mall entrance. Upon entering, she was shocked to see hundreds of people walking around and browsing the multitude of store windows. It was all a little overwhelming at first. Over the din of all the shoppers, Alice could hear Christmas music being piped through the mall speakers.

“So Alice, where do you want to start?” Blake asked as he continued to push her through the busy aisles.

“I don't know, this is a lot to take in. What all do I need?” Alice knew she had very little clothing to call her own, but she didn't want to make presumptions about what they were here to buy.

“Anything and everything really. Clothes, shoes, books, anything you want to decorate your room with, the sky is the limit Alice. I just want you to have fun and get anything you want.” Alice felt the thrill of shopping hit her like a tidal wave just before the sobering sense of guilt washed over it. Blake wanted her to buy things for herself and he was going to spend his money for her comfort. Alice knew she couldn't go overboard, so she decided to play it safe.

“Um, I guess we can start with some clothes then. I really just need the basics.”

“Nonsense, basics are boring. Common, I know the perfect place.” Blake was already turning Alice around and steering her off to the far end of the mall. They finally came to a tiny little store. There weren't very many people wandering around and Alice questioned how wonderful of a store it could possibly be with no customers.

As Blake pushed her in, Alice immediately stopped her internal questions and sat in awe of the grandeur around her. It had to be the most expensive store in the place, and really she doubted if it belonged in a mall to begin with. A tiny wisp of a woman came out from behind the sales counter and greeted Blake be name. “Good morning Dr. Hansen, what brings you in to see us today? A new suit perhaps?”

“Not today Grace, we are here to get Alice some things to wear. Get her whatever she wants, and put it on my tab.”

“Absolutely Dr. Hansen.” The woman named Grace floated over to Alice and gave her a quick once over before nodding and wafting away into the back of the store. She came back out moments later, her arms laden with clothing. “If you please, follow me.” She said, before turning and leading Alice back to the dressing rooms.

Grace helped Alice immensely through the slow process of trying on all the different clothes she had hand picked for her. Each one fit like a glove, and none of them had price tags on them, making it hard for Alice to choose which ones to get and which ones to leave behind. Out of the thirty or so items to pick from, Alice settled on five of them. One skirt, one pair of pants, and three tops. Feeling satisfied, Alice returned to the main floor and found Blake browsing the coat selection. With her new bag of clothes resting on her lap, Alice nudged Blake gently with her elbow. “All done!” She said, proud of her thrifty shopping skills.

“Do you like this coat Alice?” Blake asked without looking at her.

“It's gorgeous Blake but really, I've got everything I need. I think we can go home now.”