Chapter Ninety-Two

Chapter Ninety-Two

The second I got out of Blake's room, I threw my back against the wall and let my knees buckle. I felt my butt slam onto the hard floor, but the pain didn't register at all. Half laughing and half crying, I sat there for a long time, processing what I had just managed to get myself into. Dr. Nuardi walked past me several times as he signed paperwork for the nursing staff. Thankfully, he waited for me to calm down before he approached me.

“Is everything alright, Nurse Wullburn?” He asked, giving me a hand to help me stand back up.

“I'm not really sure, Dr. Nuardi. I'm really not sure at all.”

“Is Dr. Hansen alright?”

“Last I checked, Sir.”

“Why don't you swing by my office in an hour and we'll talk.” It really wasn't an offer so much as it was an order.

“Yes Sir.”

I ran upstairs, clocked out, and then got myself cleaned up a little. Already, I knew I was going to have to tell Dr. Nuardi what had happened, and I was pretty sure he wouldn't like the news. After knocking on his door, Dr. Nuardi opened it for me and ushered me inside. After motioning for me to take a seat, he moved around to the back of his desk and took a seat in his own chair. “Anything you want to talk to me about?” He asked, leaning back in his chair and propping his feet up on the desk.

“Sir, I'm going to be completely honest with you.”

“Always a good plan, I say.”

“I kissed Dr. Hansen, Sir . . . only because he asked me to. But, I can honestly say that I think I may still have feelings for him. I know it was wrong, and completely unprofessional, so I'll have my letter of resignation on your desk by the morning.” I stood up and prepared to leave, but Dr. Nuardi insisted that I sit back down.

“Not so fast, Nurse Wullburn. You're the best nurse I have on staff, and I'm not about to let you just walk away like that. So you kissed him, big deal.” It was a little funny hearing his accent slip through as he spoke. “Now, I have talked with the Board of Directors and we are all in agreement. I have decided to step down as Chief of Staff. I forgot how much I miss practicing medicine, and having Dr. Hansen as my patient has brought me to my senses.

“Assuming Dr. Hansen accepts the terms, I will be stepping down on in one months time, and returning to my former job as Head of the ER Department. The Board has agreed to offer Dr. Hansen my position, with the stipulation that he has assistance. The Board is concerned with Dr. Hansen's long-term memory loss, and wants to make sure that someone is keeping an eye on him.

“I took the liberty of bringing your name up, and the Board agreed that you would be the perfect candidate for the job. If you take the position, you will be required to make sure that Dr. Hansen is working in the best interest of St. Micheal's and it's patients, as well as assisting him during his rounds, and of course any emergencies that may arise.”

“You're pulling my leg, aren't you?”

“Quite the contrary, Alice. I'm being nothing but completely honest with you. My wife complains constantly about my long hours here, I miss the hands-on work, and you and Dr. Hansen make a great team. He is more than qualified to run St. Micheal's, and I have nothing but the best of faith that you and he will bring this hospital to the forefront of medical history.”

“Is that why the Board wants to talk to B . . . Dr. Hansen in the morning?”

“Yes, I believe it is.”

“I'll accept the position if he accepts his. Now, if you will excuse me Sir, I have to go.”

I flew through the halls, ignoring anyone who tried to stop me. About half way back downstairs, my hair fell out of it's bun, but I ignored it and continued my journey back to the ICU. I ripped open Blake's door, not even bothering to knock. Blake rolled over, rubbing his eyes as he woke up from my interruption. “What's wrong?” He asked, sitting up gingerly and rubbing his hand to stop the shakes.

“That Board meeting tomorrow morning is important. They are going to offer you Dr. Nuardi's position.”

“Don't play with me, Alice. That's a cruel joke to play on anyone.”

“I'm not joking. I just had a meeting with Dr. Nuardi, and he told me everything. We need to get you prepared.”

“I'm not taking the job, Alice. Go home and go to bed.”

“What are you talking about?” I could feel my frustration begin to surface. “Why not take the job?”

“I can't practice medicine. I'm just now starting to remember my medical training. I don't know the first thing about running a hospital. The Board is crazy if they think I'm qualified to handle something like that.”

“Just hear them out. It's not going to be cutting into your schedule.”

“Fine. I'll listen to what they have to say, but then believe me, I'm telling them no. Now, can we talk about us?”

“What about us?” This was exactly what I didn't want to talk about. I caught myself reaching for my bracelet, and I forced my hands down into my pockets to keep from toying with it..

“Alice, I think I'm falling in love with you, again.”