Chapter Seven

"Hey friend," Ashley greeted Sage as she joined her, Letoya and Trisha by the steps during lunch.

Trisha stared at Ashley, stunned by the cheerful mood.

"Hey," Sage greeted hesitantly.

Ashley sat down next to Sage and gave her a side hug, "The weight is starting to show," she giggled.

"Yeah, I am carrying three people," Sage said nonchalantly. She was in a sour mood, for no specific reason.

"Three?!" Ashley asked, hearing this for the first time.

Sage nodded and studied Ashley, "You seem better."

Ashley bit her tongue, avoiding a smart comeback, "I am," she smiled.

The head boy of the school approached them and informed Trisha about a last minute meeting and she left.

Sage gave up the position of head girl after she told the principal of her pregnancy. With disappointment, Mr Wright asked for Trisha's presence. Later that day, Trisha excitedly told them the great news.

"Ash, where have you been?" Letoya asked, moving closer to the pair at the bottom.

Ashley rolled her eyes, "Just busy," she mumbled.

Letoya gave a short hum then busied herself with the phone in her hand.

Letoya and Sage left Priscilla preparing for her surgery which was happening today.

She had to stay away from food from the morning and Priscilla let out a few curse words when the family ate in her presence.

"So, what are you up to this weekend? We don't chill like we used to ever since you fell pregnant," Ashley said, digging a hand into her blue packet of Doritos.

Sage peered at her friend from her phone, "You've been busy too," she said.

"Well I'm not any longer plus I moved to my own place," Ashley beamed.

"That's nice," Sage commented, not very invested in the conversation. She felt irritable.

"You should come over, we can have a girl's weekend in, if Junior will allow you," Ashley said.

Sage looked at her momentarily then shook her head, "Okay."

Ashley smiled deviously and took her phone out.

There was a rowdy crowd not too far from them and the girls looked towards it.

"Whose fighting?" Letoya asked nobody in particular as she stood up to go towards the crowd.

Ashley turned towards Sage, "I wanted to apologize for being such a bitch towards you, especially with all that's going on with you. It's just, the death of my cousin hit me harder than I expected, and I guess I pushed you away," she gave Sage a sad look.

Sage smiled softly, appreciative, "It's okay, but you must learn to open up a bit more. I worry about you."

"I'm fine now," Ashley said, "Your best friend is back," she announced and the two shared a laugh before hugging.

Letoya returned, "Candy and Vee," she rolled her eyes.

"Do you have a video?" Sage asked after letting go of Ashley.

Letoya scoffed, "Nothing interesting about two girls swimming in air."

...

"Morris, if I don't make it-"

"Stop talking like that," Morris interrupted her.

They were at the hospital, in a preoperative room as her surgery was soon.

Priscilla shifted in the high bed, "Okay, I love you."

"I love you too," Morris said and squeezed her hand whilst placing a kiss on her forehead.

He was crippled by fear, wary of the surgery even after extensive research that told him chances of survival from mastectomy were high but there were many side effects listed.

They had spoken to her doctor who had informed them of the procedure and he sounded confident in her survival so Morris opted to stay on the hopeful side of things.

A small and short nurse walked in, "Mrs Parker," she called out before looking up from a board she carried, "Mr Parker," she greeted him with a smile then focused on her patient.

The nurse looked like she hadn't hit puberty yet, with her skinny frame and soft features, "I need to take you to the anesthesia room," she proceeded.

"Okay," Priscilla said. She was ready to be done with the day's event, so she could return home healthily. "Where are the kids?" She peered at Morris.

The treatment had her feeling much sicker, she didn't have energy to carry out a simple task of walking around the house.

"Should be on their way from school."

She noted the tension from her husband, and tried many times to assure him that it was for the best she removed her breasts. Even her doctor explained the risk reduction in undergoing the double mastectomy.

She tightened her grip on his hand and he looked down at her, "I'll be okay," her voice betrayed her.

The nerves were on edge and she couldn't hide them any longer.

Morris gave a low 'okay' and assisted her off the bed.

"I'll take it from here," the nurse said, taking hold of the wheelchair Priscilla sat in, "May you please go to the waiting area, Sir."

Morris nodded and bent down to kiss Priscilla.

"See you on the other side," she smiled and Morris felt like she was saying goodbye.

Before he could respond, Letoya and Sage rushed in.

"Mom, is it time?" Letoya asked.

"Yes," Priscilla looked at her daughter, "Take care of yourself okay?"

Letoya nodded her head slowly, she peered at Morris who looked deflated then at Sage who was right next to her.

"We'll be here when you're done," Sage said holding her hand.

Priscilla nodded, "Come give me some sugar," she gave a short laugh and Sage giggled before bending to embrace her stepmother.

"You'll be a great mother, don't ever doubt that," Priscilla whispered in Sage's ear.

"Thank you," Sage said then let go. Her eyes were wet as she tried hard not to cry.

"We need to get going Mrs Parker," the nurse said.

Priscilla ignored her and looked at Letoya. They shared a tight hug.

"Y'all better take care of my man," Priscilla said to the girls.

"Of course, you'll find him still in one piece," Sage laughed and Morris fought a smile.

"Why is she talking like this?" Letoya asked the irritated nurse.

"It's normal for people about to undergo a major surgery to feel scared," the nurse stated.

"But she'll be okay, right?" Letoya asked with concern evident in her face.

"Yes," the nurse answered too quickly.

"If y'all would let me go," Priscilla added.

"Oh! Right," Letoya said and moved out of the way.

Letoya, Morris and Sage stood back, watching Priscilla being wheeled out. A lot of strong emotions surrounded them, as still as they remained.