Chapter Thirty Four

Ashley stepped out of the janitor's room from the hospital with blue scrubs on. She had a fake tag attached to the pocket by her breast.

She had tied her hair back and wore glasses.

It was just before breakfast and she knew she had to make it quick.

She walked fast towards the stairs that led to the third floor that Eli was on, making sure to keep her head down.

Fortunately for her, the staff were occupied with preparing medication and food for patients so they didn't take note of her.

She reached the floor and searched for the fifth room.

After a short distance, she found it on her left and slipped in.

Eli was asleep, as she approached his bed.

Hate came to the surface, watching his chest lift up then go down.

She reached for her pocket and took out a covered needle.

With a smirk, she rid the top and tapped on the silver thin needle.

She went to his IV bag and reached for the injection port. She stuck the injection in and watched with satisfaction as the high dosage of succinylcholine poured through.

This would do the job without detection, she had done her research.

After emptying the syringe, she closed the cap and returned it to her pocket.

"Sleep well Eli," she said and turned on her heels to rush out.

...

"Did I have to come along?" Sage whined as they walked down an isle in a grocery store.

Junior chuckled, "You know I ain't good with this grocery thing," he said, pushing the trolley beside Sage.

She cradled her stomach and stopped before the cereal, "Let's start here," she pointed towards the variety of boxes lined up on the shelf.

"Okay," Junior went and  picked up three Honey Nut Cheerios boxes and two Cap'N Crunch boxes to throw them in the trolley.

Sage shook her head and laughed, "You're such a big baby."

He shrugged his shoulders and they proceeded down the isle.

"We need milk for all that," Sage said as they turned the corner.

"Please don't get that coconut milk of yours," Junior scrunched up his face, "Shit taste funny."

"It's healthy though," Sage argued.

"For you. I'll pass," he said and Sage shook her head.

"Fine," she said and they turned into another isle.

A female looked up from the carton of milk she was carrying and smiled.

Junior smacked his lips, foreseeing trouble.

"JR, nice seeing you out with the new bitch," Nana spoke as she approached the two.

Sage stood and studied the slim dark girl with a red long curly weave. She wore a yellow boobtube bodycon dress that revealed two tacky tiger paws above each breast.

"Nana, what do you want?"

"Child support," she stood with a hip out and crossed her arms over her big chest.

"Child support?" Sage asked looking at Junior.

"Oh! He didn't tell you? Nigga over here has a five year old son," she said proudly with a smirk.

Sage gasped and looked between the two. Her heart ached as she digested what she was just told.

"Nana," Junior warned lowly.

"I ain't scared of you," Nana scoffed, "But watch what's coming your way if I don't see a cheque soon," she said and walked off.

Sage stared at Junior, waiting for an explanation.

"Baby, she is lying," he started.

"But you knew?" She questioned.

He scratched the back of his neck, "Yeah, I bumped into her a month back-"

"I'm stupid," she said through teary eyes, "My dad is right."

Sage walked off with Junior in tow.

"Sage," he grabbed her arm.

"Leave me the fuck alone," she gritted.

Junior was taken aback by her language usage, "I'll take a DNA to prove it ain't my son," he said looking down at her.

"It's not even about that right now," she semi yelled, "It's about your lack of transparency."

"I'm sorry Ma," he said not letting go of her.

Sage looked down and wiped the tears that had escaped, "Junior," she sighed, "I've been through the worst ever since I started dating you and it never stops," she met his gaze.

"I'll take the test, it ain't mine," he reiterated.

"And if it is?"

Junior didn't respond. He knew it wasn't his kid, Nana was just playing him for money.

Sage removed herself from his hold, "I'll get an Uber," she stated and left him standing there on his own.

...

Mya pushed a trolley with food to her favourite patient's room. With a smile, she thought today she'd invite him to stay with her upon his discharge.

She had been shy to do so previously but gained enough courage to let it out there.

She admired his strength and was attracted to him more than she expected to. It only has been two weeks, but love doesn't choose.

She walked into the room and found him fast asleep.

"Eli," she called out after putting the tray at the foot of his bed to open the curtains.

The light that invaded the room didn't wake him up and she smiled approaching him.

"Wake up Eli, it's time for your check up," she placed her hand on his shoulders.

The coldness shocked her and she immediately felt for his pulse.

There was none and her heart raced, "Eli!" She shouted then pressed a buzzer for assistance.

Tears formed in her eyes as she watched the man she came to like lay still.

"Wake up!" She yelled, "Wake up Eli," she shook him.

A doctor rushed in, "What's wrong?" He touched Eli and received his answer.

Mya stepped back as the doctor shouted orders to the nurses that had followed him.

The scene played out as her world became a blur. She watched, waiting for his smile and those dark eyes to soften towards her but that didn't happen.

Sliding down against a wall, she saw a nurse cover his face with the sheet that was over his body. Tears flowed freely as she trembled.

He was gone.