Chapter Twenty Three

The dark stenched room was still and silent, with Sage imitating it. She sat on the mat that had become her home, she didn't know for how long with her eyes fixated on the wall ahead.

The little window provided inadequate light to tell the time of the day, she had given up on that after going through desperation and anxiety.

The day before she was taken upstairs to get cleaned up by whom she had sworn was her best friend.

She had dragged her heavy and tired body behind a bouncing Ashley, listening to the orders given, she showered and allowed to be made up and dressed by her.

Thereafter she met the man that held her prisoner. He terrified Sage, and all she did was listen to him rant on about Junior timidly.

He requested she speak to Junior when he arrives, which excited Sage at first but with her thoughts being her only company down there, she assumed her boyfriend was aware of her whereabouts.

The trust she had in people diminished, especially for those close. Maybe her stepsister was in on this as well.

She felt movement in her belly and she peeled her eyes away from the wall to cradle her stomach.

"Mommy is here," she croaked looking at her tummy, "Mommy will keep you safe."

She turned to the window as a lone tear slid down her one cheek. She questioned what she had done to deserve this, what wrong she inflicted on Ashley and Junior and if her love was not enough.

One question that laid heaviest on her mind though was if she was brought onto this world to suffer.

...

"Junior, it's Letoya, I got your number from Wes," Letoya greeted in one breath.

It was Tuesday morning, and Letoya couldn't take waiting any longer.

"Wassup?" Junior asked in a raspy voice, sleep still evident.

"Sorry for waking y'all up, may I speak to Sage? Her phone has been off and she missed school yesterday. I'm worried," Letoya fidgeted with the peeling end of the dining table.

Shuffling could be heard, "What do you mean she missed school? Ain't she home?" Junior's voice came out clearer and louder.

"No, she's with you," Letoya stated.

"I haven't seen her in a few days and I thought it's cause she was mad at me, when last did you see her?" Junior questioned with an edge of urgency.

"Friday at school, she went over to Ashley's," Letoya's heart was beating irregularly, she failed to sit still.

"Okay," Junior said calmly, "Where's Ashley?" He asked.

"I don't know. Oh my God!" Letoya wailed as if she had just realized the severity of the situation, "What if Sage is in danger?" She shot up and paced the floor.

Letoya heard ruffling from the other end as she entertained her thoughts, "Where does Ashley live?"

"I don't know," Letoya cried.

"Fuck!" The call ended.

...

Junior sped towards the address Darius handed him a second ago. He was already on the road, in search of Sage.

Guilt stabbed him fatally, as his car drifted around a roundabout. The car horns he received didn't alert him or impede his reckless driving.

He questioned what could have happened to Sage and as he was about to give himself a million possible answers, his phone rang.

He answered without glancing at the screen.

"Marquise Johnson Junior!"

"Now is not the time," Junior shook his head and peered at Sean's name.

"Oh! But you'll make time for this," Sean said smuggly.

"I ain't interested in your drug empire," Junior replied.

"Sage begs to differ," Sean said.

Junior screeched to a halt up the road from Ashley's house, "What the fuck are you talking about?" He looked at the screen on the dashboard.

"We've had a little chat and she thinks you should join me, you know, for her safety and your three little kids," Sean said, almost sweetly.

Junior banged on the steering wheel, "If you dare touch a hair on her, that's your life," he threatened through gritted teeth.

"It's evident you don't know who you're dealing with," Sean's voice changed to that of a staid one.

"And you're about to find out who you're dealing with!" Junior canceled the call and banged on the steering viciously!

He started the engine and drove down the street to stop before his destination.

Before exiting, he dialed a number.

"Yeah, I need you to find Sniper for me."

...

"Mr Woods, may you please come in as soon as possible. It's with regards to your wife," Brian listened to the coherent male voice.

He was seated in his home office, and had just started his day when his phone blared, interrupting him.

It was an unpleasant disruption and it could be heard as he responded, "I'll see when I'll find time," he then hung up.

He placed his phone on the desk and returned to the spreadsheet plastered across his MacBook screen.

His phone rang again and he picked it up, "I said I will find time," he bellowed.

"I know Daddy," A feminine voice purred.

Brian removed the phone from his ear to study the strange number splayed across his screen.

"Who is this?" His mood didn't better.

"Kitty."

The crease on Brian's forehead straightened and he leaned back into his chair, "How'd you manage this?"

"A woman has her ways," Ashley said coyly.

The tension he had built up slowly vanished as he pictured Ashley on the desk before him, "What can I do for you?"

"A lot Daddy," Ashley answered seductively, "The question is, when?"

Brian smirked, "What do you know about grown folk business?"

"Don't underestimate me," Ashley said, "Give me centre stage to judge for yourself."

"Tomorrow night, at seven in the evening," Brian ordered, "Don't overdress," he added.

"See you then," Ashley drew out before hanging up.

Brian shook his head and chuckled. He couldn't believe he was entertaining a young girl but he couldn't deny the excitement she brought to his life at that moment and if she wanted to play, he'll teach her the game.

...

A/N: Like, are y'all even enjoying this book? Honestly? At times, I doubt it!

Anyway, I'd like to thank consistent readers and voters, always the first to read when I post - that hypes the hell outta me: Rahmilli, JaaeShiesty, Missnaynaybaby, -MVELIDADON-.

creativeone_ - I owe you a read and the same energy on your books, fr!

ShantelBenjamin, _RamiJones_, taaameeya and premebiell - your comments!

Thanks to all my readers! The support is much appreciated! ᦔꪜ