Chapter Thirty Five

It's been two weeks since Sage took Junior's calls. She was deeply hurt, and at a point she wasn't sure why.

Morris has kept mum about Junior, even though he suspected a fight between them had his daughter home.

She had just finished studying for her last examination for the term which was the following day and was laid in bed with a hot water bottle placed to her back.

Sleep was playing on her eyelids and she expected to doze off anytime soon.

Letoya barged in with her school bag and flung it to the side.

"Vanessa is dead," she announced and sat on her bed.

Sage lifted her head, "What?"

"She was found dead in her bed," Letoya said whilst accessing her phone.

"What happened?" Sage put her head down and looked at Letoya who stood up to remove her jacket.

Letoya shrugged, "Heart failure, I don't know but apparently she went to sleep and didn't wake up."

"Shame," Sage said lowly, too sleepy to focus on the topic at hand.

Sage's phone pinged and she reached for it under her pillow. It was a message from Junior. She hesitated before opening it.

"I'm going over to her house with Trisha, you coming?" Letoya asked standing by their wardrobe.

Sage peered at her before opening the attachments from Junior, "No."

She studied the pages that read Junior didn't father a Khalil. Relief washed over her then slight anger took over.

That girl was able to ruin their relationship with a claim she couldn't prove at that time, and she felt she should've stuck by Junior instead of ignoring him.

At the same time she felt she was right to be mad, but a little guilt hit her.

"I know she wasn't the best person in the world," Letoya said now standing at the end of Sage's bed with a change of jacket and a doek over her head, "But she was my friend at some point, so imma go show support."

Sage focused on Letoya, putting her phone face down, "You're right, she was your friend, not mine. Nobody is faulting you for going over there," she said.

"I thought you'd change your mind," Letoya rolled her eyes and went to her bed to take her phone, "But whatever," she exited the room.

Sage sighed then went to her contacts to dial Junior's number.

After the first ring he picked up, "Baby, talk to me," he said lowly.

"I'm sorry," she started, "For blowing the whole thing out of proportion, I should've stuck by you."

"Naa, don't be sorry, I should've been honest from the get go," Junior said, "Shit, I probably would've reacted the same if not worse if I were in your shoes. You're good Ma."

Sage smiled, "In other news, I'm glad I'm having your first set of children," she heaved out a breath, "Right?" She raised an eyebrow.

Junior chuckled, "Yes, I don't have any kids," he said.

"Good."

"I'm coming to fetch you, I miss y'all," he spoke and Sage heard shuffling.

"No please, nothing," Sage sat up slowly cradling her belly.

Junior smacked his lips, "You don't miss me?"

"I didn't say that," Sage laughed, "How many minutes?"