Chapter Forty One

Brandi swung in the chair behind the counter at work. It was just after midnight, a few hours into her shift.

The motel was very quiet, which she preferred.

Ever since she started working there, she'd only had encounters with a few drunk people coming in for the night, ladies of the night with male companions and Ashley but she enjoyed her job nonetheless.

She thought about her boyfriend and a smile tugged at the corners of her lips.

Grabbing her phone, she accessed her messages and started typing to JP.

"Hey," Brandi dropped her phone and snapped her head towards Ashley who was leaned against a pillar in the foyer.

Her heart raced from the intruder and she clinged onto her chest, "You gave me a fright," she smiled, "How long have you been there?"

Ashley approached the counter and leaned on it, "Long enough to see you smile like a fool, whoever he is must be putting in the work," she commented.

Brandi giggled and picked her phone up to finish the short message she had typed out. Shortly after she sent it then placed her phone on the counter, "I guess," she beamed.

"Lucky you sis, I'm single as a Pringle," Ashley said.

"I wouldn't have guessed. What are you doing up so late?" She asked, changing the subject. She straightened her work shirt as she leaned back into the chair.

"I couldn't sleep and thought to check up on you," Ashley said looking at Brandi, "You weren't here the past two nights."

"Uhh, yeah, I was off," Brandi said, "You checked for me?"

"No," Ashley said too quick, "Okay I'm lying, yes. I don't have friends and I vibed with you the last time so you're the closest thing to a friend," she admitted.

Brandi's phone pinged and lit up. Ashley quickly saw the name JP then pretended to not be looking at the screen. Brandi grabbed and laughed before responding.

"Anyway, where are you from?" Ashley inquired.

Brandi looked up from the screen that illuminated her face, "Uhm, around actually, you?"

"Same, I've never seen you before though," Ashley said, leaning her head on her perked up arm.

"Maybe we just didn't cross paths," Brandi shrugged and put her phone down.

Ashley have a short hum before Brandi's phone rang.

She saw a picture of Brandi and JP smiling at the camera and she rolled her eyes, "Well, I will see you some other time," she moved from the counter.

Brandi nodded more focused on the incoming call. She picked up and went into a fit of laughter.

Ashley snarled as she walked away but was glad she got confirmation of the JP that Brandi was dating. She now had to devise a plan to get to him through Brandi, her new friend.

A smile replaced the turned up lips as she reached her door.

...

"Why are we at the airport?" Sage asked for the fifth time in twenty minutes and Junior chuckled.

"Just get out," he said with his hand held out for her to leave her seat.

"No, tell me why we're here first," she crossed her arms over her chest and looked at him with attitude.

Junior shook his head, "You can be stubborn at times," he looked around, mainly by the entrance then back at her, "It's a surprise," he added.

She rolled her eyes then exited the car, "I better like it," she said as Junior closed her door.