Chapter Six

It had been over a week since Nicole had been home and she felt cold. Her husband was hardly around and the movements from her belly were no longer there to keep her company.

She was laying in bed when she heard the bathroom door open. She turned to face a fully dressed Brian and his cologne wafted over to her.

"Going to make another baby?" She asked bitterly.

"Nicole, not now," Brian said as he buttoned his shirt at the wrists.

"When is it ever time to talk to you?" Nicole sat up and felt a sharp pain invade her thoughts.

Brian ignored her and sat down on a chair by the closet to wear his shoes.

He stood up and grabbed his suit jacket from the closet and walked back into the room. Nicole watched him with disgust, the love she had was buried with her baby.

The man before her was a stranger, a regret and she hated him.

She clicked her tongue as he walked out of the room and her eyes teared up. She was exhausted, emotionally and mentally.

She leaned to the side and opened the drawer to the side table. Then she grabbed three bottles of pills, ones that make things fade away and she removed two from each.

She drank them and laid back down in bed. She wanted to sleep, forget about her life for a while and the medication achieved that as she soon got sucked in by a pit of black.

...

"At this rate, you're going to put another baby in here," Sage commented as she walked into Junior's bedroom from the bathroom only in white lace underwear.

Junior smirked from the bed, already dressed in black basketball short, "If that was possible, you'd have a whole football team in there."

Sage rolled her eyes and went to his closet to find something to wear. Her inner thighs were a bit sore from the session they had earlier but she managed to walk around.

"I forgot to ask the doctor if it's safe to have excessive sex like we do," she said from the closet.

Junior chuckled, occupied by his phone.

Sage came out wearing one of his black shorts and a vest to match. Her wet hair was in a bun above her head and she flopped on the bed.

She watched Junior and smiled, as flashbacks of earlier played in her mind.

"What's up creep?" Junior asked peering at his girlfriend.

"Nothing," she sat up and crossed her legs underneath her, "I'm just grateful," she felt a wave of emotion hit her and her eyes got watery.

"What's wrong now?" Junior asked scooting closer to Sage. He had placed his phone to the side.

"Nothing," Sage said through tears. She wiped her face.

"But you're crying. Again," Junior pointed out as he held her.

"Hormones," she said and they shared a laugh.

Junior kissed the side of her forehead, "You sure?"

Sage nodded her head and hiccupped. The symptoms seemed to have increased after they found out about the triplets and she was gaining weight which pleased Junior.

Her breasts were heavier, and she always felt bloated. Her cravings ranged from toasted cheese sandwich sprinkled with salt to chicken nuggets specifically from McDonald's.

"All you need is food," Junior said against her neck and Sage squirmed away.

"We are hungry," she agreed, looking at Junior with glossy eyes.

Junior chuckled and stood up to get dressed, "What do y'all want? Don't tell me nuggets from McDonald's, that shit ain't healthy for y'all," he said.

Sage stuck her bottom lip out and stared at Junior like a toddler about to cry.

"Dont give me that face," Junior said sitting down to wear his white sneakers.

Sage crossed her arms across her chest, "Then I am not hungry," she said with attitude.

Junior shook his head and smacked his lips, "Don't starve my children, I'll go get your shit but know you won't be eating it for long, you need to eat the green stuff," he turned to face Sage whose face looked swollen.

"Fine," she drew out, "But I don't want that green stuff, in fact, your kids are the ones that don't want that," she protested.

Junior laughed, "You gonna let three little people tell you what to do?"

Sage looked at him in disbelief and was about to cuss him out but her phone rang. She grabbed it and answered.

"Hey," Chelsea sung out and two more voices greeted.

Sage smiled, "Hey guys," she stared at the faces of her friends.

"How's momma doing?" Zoe asked, they were all seated on Chelsea's bed and Zoe was still in her school uniform.

"I'm fine, you guys?" Sage asked and saw Junior stand up and leave the room.

"We're good," Pearl answered with a smile.

Sage was happy to see them, she started crying.

"Oh hell," Zoe commented.

"Sage, what's wrong?" Pearl asked with furrowed eyebrows.

Chelsea giggled, "It's hormones."

Sage nodded her head and smiled, "Guys, I don't know why I'm crying, it just happens."

They laughed.

"What did you want to tell us?" Chelsea asked remembering that Sage texted earlier for a video call with three of them.

Sage used her hands to wipe her cheeks, "I'm having triplets."

She watched the shock and joy register on the three faces.

"What?!" Pearl screamed and the others squealed.

Sage laughed at the bodies jumping on the bed and screaming.

"Oh my word Sage," Zoe said.

The door opened and Sage looked up from the screen to see Junior, "Get dressed, we need to get going," he said.

"I am dressed," she answered back plainly.

Junior glanced at her then shook his head, "Let's go then," he laughed and left.

"Is that baby daddy?" Zoe was near the screen, looking into the room Sage was in. They hadn't met Junior yet but seen a picture. Zoe was a huge fan.

Sage rolled her eyes, "That's my man, yes. I have to go guys," she said getting off the bed.

"Don't do anything we wouldn't do," Pearl said.

"Isn't it too late?" Sage commented and they laughed, "Talk later."

"We love you," Chelsea said then Pearl and Zoe echoed her.

Sage's eyes moistened, "I love you too guys."

"We made her cry again," Pearl said lowly.

"She'll be fine," Chelsea said.

"After nine months," Zoe added.

"I can hear you," Sage said loudly.

After much banter, Sage hung up and grabbed her belongings. The call had her in high spirits, she was happy her friends made up and that they supported her.

She walked down the stairs and found Junior leaned on the counter in the kitchen, on his phone.

He faced Sage, "About damn time."