Melissa - Chapter Twenty One

Politics wasn't awful, just not my favorite class. The Professor was nice and all just not showing much enthusiasm for the subject. Which in turn makes all the kids hate it. Class finishes up and I realize I have music with Mrs. Calico. I remember my mom telling me about her. She was so kind and nice and enjoyed music. I rush over there as fast as possible. I walk in to see a bunch of students already seated and talking. I put my stuff down in the back and find a seat in the corner. The bell rings and Mrs. Calico gets up from her desk.

"Alright everyone, since it's the first day, I just want to hear you sing today." I froze. Wait, as in live, in front of people! I have sung by myself plenty of times, but I have never actually sung in front of people. She starts to call people up. "Larry of England." He was an okay singer. He was flat on about 3 notes through the entire song. Also, you could hear the shakiness in his voice. "Thalia Of Belgium." Of course the "big countries" were going first. Not surprising. "Melissa of Thelonais." My hands start to shake as I get up from my seat. My red dress flowing behind me. I get to the front. "What song are you doing?" Mrs. Calico asks.

"Oh, I Want The Good Times Back. It's a song I made up."

"So a songwriter? Well, when ever you're ready." She smiled warmly. I take a deep breath and began

(This is actually a song, from the Little Mermaid Musical. Listen to it to understand what I'm doing. :)

"And get the good times back. I mean with all the perks the trident, crown, the throne. All mine alone. The whole damn works. But most of all I want 'ol Triton pinned and wriggling on the rack. And fellas it's my time. And frankly it's high time. Those fabulous good times. Back! Coming back!" I finish off with a good note but everybody is silent. Crap, I did awful. I quickly run back to my seat before I hear the sounds of hatred.

"Melissa, that was........" Mrs. Calico couldn't even say it was good. "Wonderful!" Wait, what? "That wasn't out of tune or off pitch at all. Wonderful song choice." What da eff just happened? There's no way she actually thought that was good. It's impossible. No. Then everyone started clapping. Great, make me feel worse. I was basically hiding in my invisible bubble. No one touches me!