Chapter Twenty

Angelina looked at the brass eagle and let out a shaky breath as it slowly revealed the staircase, very slowly Angelina climbed the steps. Her legs shook with each step out of nerves. She slowly knocked and the voice she rarely heard told her to enter. 

Dumbledore sat behind his desk, a hand fixing his half-moon glasses as he gave a gentle smile to Angelina. 

"Ah, Miss Parkinson, how may I help you?" He smiled, motioning for her to take a seat before him. 

"I've come to talk to you about something important," she rung her hands together in her lap as she let out a shaky breath. Her nerves were slowly killing her. 

"If it involves Mr. Malfoy, I am aware of the situation," he spoke softly, his eyes looking at her over his glasses. 

Angelina couldn't help the shocked expression on her face, "what exactly do you mean?" 

Dumbledore gave her a small smile, "my dear, I believe we both know what I'm referring to," he tapped his left forearm before folding her hands on the desk. 

"What...what should--" 

"Unfortunately, there is nothing that can possibly be done," at this Angelina hung her head. "I understand this is painful to hear, but I cannot force him to accept help." 

Angelina nodded slowly, "I just thought....Actually I'm not sure what I thought." 

"You thought that by coming to me, you might find a solution that would save an innocent boy," Dumbledore offered. 

"He's planning something, I know very little of it. But...." Angelina shivered, meeting Dumbledore's gaze, "please....there has to be something." 

"If you had unlimited options, what would you do?" Dumbledore asked calmly. 

"I would want to run, far from everything. Go into hiding where it would be safer. Even if that is a cowardly idea....I have no other idea," she whispered. "I thought that if I got Draco away from that damn room as often as possible nothing would happen. I just...." she shook her head, letting out a small laugh--the kind you make when things are most stressful and you feel as if the world is out to get you. "I failed," she whispered. 

Dumbledore's eyes were soft and warm, his smile was comforting as he regarded Angelina silently, "my dear. Please don't think that you've failed, there was really nothing you could do. Mr. Malfoy would've tried to fulfill whatever it is he was meant to. Whether you did manage to keep him away from that 'damn room' as often as possible he would find a way to complete his mission." 

Angelina sat quietly, shifting in her seat uncomfortably, "I just.....I wish I could have done.....something.

"You've done plenty, Miss Parkinson," Dumbledore spoke softly. But his words did not reassure her. 

"But I haven't saved him. I failed in that respect." 

Dumbledore was quiet for a moment, "in times like this, it is best to just remind our loved ones that there is always help available." 

At this Angelina felt that it was all over. Draco would never accept help. No matter what. 

~*~*~*

The air felt different today, it was June now and it should be warm, but a chill was set in Angelina's spine as she looked around the court yard. The sky was cloudy but the clouds held a red tint as the sun began to set for the day. Angelina slowly walked inside, letting her feet guide her aimlessly. 

"Angelina!" 

She looked up at the sound of her name to see Draco running to her, her insides twisting and melting nervously, he looked awful--like a skeleton, she believed. His skin was stark white and tight across his cheek bones. His eyes were sunken and hidden beneath dark circles that were tinted with purple, looking as if he had bruises. He took her shoulders in his hands, his fingers were longer and skinnier than she remembered.