Chapter Thirty-Two

Her eyes were lifeless and dull, the circles were deep and dark--as if etched into stone and would remain there for forever. Draco had never seen that look before and as he studied her, the more obvious that she was being controlled became apparent. Her blank stare and mechanical movements were something that can only be attributed to the Imperius curse.  But there was little he could possibly do, and this drove Draco insane. 

"Where's Marie?" Angelina looked around the Great Hall, prodding her salad slightly, noting Draco tensing a bit. 

"Well.....you see...." Draco sighed, "you...." He paused, considering how to continue, "Marie was taken." His grip on his fork tightening, remembering how Angelina had that dull look in her eyes as she stood before a cowering Marie, her wand pointed right at her best friend's throat. 

"Taken where?" Draco gave a small shrug of his shoulders, "Malfoy. Tell me," Angelina pleaded. 

"I actually don't know, all I know is that they wanted her for something." 

Angelina felt her eyes flood with water, but she held back the tears as she looked down to her plate. Draco sighed, wanting to tell her everything about what she'd done to her friend weeks before; how Angelina almost killed her, how Marie looked at Draco for the first time for help when she was cornered.....

Draco walked through the halls after curfew like usual, no one was on the third floor as he made his way back to his dormitory. When he made it to the landing of the second floor, Draco could hear screams, his hand flew toward his wand as he carefully walked down the hall. 

"Please, Angie! It's me, your best friend!" 

Draco's pace quickened, his heart skipping a few beats when his eyes finally found the voice asking to left alone. 

Angelina held her wand straight at her best friend's heart, Angelina's eyes dull and distant, "Draco. Please, Draco, help me," Marie's voice was panicked. "She took my wand, and...and, help!" 

Draco lifted his wand, drawing Angelina's attention to him, "what's going on here?" 

"Nothing," Angelina's voice said dully. 

Marie jumped to her feet and retreated behind Draco, "I don't understand what's going on," she whispered. 

"Angelina isn't herself, she's under control of someone," Draco responded, "now run and don't look back." 

Marie touched Draco's shoulder gently, "thank you, Draco." 

Marie's feet pounded in Draco's ears as she hurried away, Angelina's attention returned to Marie and with a small flick of her wand Draco heard Marie's whimper of surprise as she fell to the ground. Angelina ran pass Draco before he could react, in seconds Angelina held Marie in a headlock, her arm holding the struggling girl in place as she jabbed her wand into the girl's jugular.

"Let her go," Draco demanded, he noted the pressure the wand was putting on Marie's neck as she whimpered slightly. "Angelina, listen to me now." 

Angelina continued to stare, Draco considered his options in this situation; if she wouldn't listen it would have to be done by force. Or he could just let Marie go and see in the Prophet her name appear on the missing persons list in a week. With a heavy sigh Draco brought his wand over his head, flourishing it without a sound, the jinx hitting Angelina in the face. 

A gasp escaped Angelina as she fell back a few steps, releasing Marie who quickly ran without another word, Draco looked at Angelina as she held her face in her hands. 

"Obliviate," Draco whispered. 

Draco looked at Angelina as the memory of what happened nights ago churned through his mind. "Ange, when its time, I need you to do something for me," Draco reached across the table for one of her hands but she retracted from him slightly, Angelina swear she saw a flicker of hurt flash across those pale features. "I need you to run, but only when I say so. You'll run and never look back, alright?" 

Angelina gave no acknowledgement of his order, "do you think Marie is alright?" 

Draco let out a long breath, "I don't know for sure,  but if they took her, its for a very specific reason."

Angelina frowned at her plate, "my parents sent an owl, saying that I'm going home with you for the holidays?" 

"I was informed by my parents as well." 

"Do...do you think something bad will happen....to me?" Angelina's eyes were huge, watery plates that stared into Draco's dull grey eyes, searching for a flicker of comfort. 

"I have no idea," Draco whispered, "but...I'll try to keep you safe." 

A shiver trailed down her spine as they sat there, the hall feeling cold as ice, Angelina pushed away her food and quietly left the table without another word. Draco stretched his arms above his head, thinking about what was soon to come. With the Christmas holidays around the corner, Draco felt a certain dread that filled his entire body; they would both return to the Manor where Angelina would most likely be tortured every single day. This possibility was Draco's daily thought as he planned out his next movements, it was what motivated Draco to consider options for another life. 

Draco passed a window overlooking the black lake covered in a sheet of ice as snow lazily floated to the ground, thoughts of how beautiful it looked outside were replaced with how stark and dead the world looked outside that window in the moment. Draco held his breath, hoping that things would be better soon. 

****

"Do you really think that controlling Angelina is the best idea?" Draco called as he approached Alecto Carrow. 

She turned her head to the side, stopping in her tracks as Draco came closer, "I'll have you know that we're getting results from having her as a puppet. So yeah, it's the best idea." 

Draco scowled, "what's going to happen when she figures everything out?" 

"She's not going to figure anything out, she can't even figure out that she's not even an actual Death Eater," Alecto gave a cackle of glee. 

"She's not even a Death Eater? What're you going on about?" 

"Do you really think bandages would remain on your arm for several months?" Alecto snorted, "the brat never got a mark. She's just being forced to believe she has it until her final mission." 

"That's sick," Draco said lowly. 

Alecto sneered, a glint of hidden joy in her eye, "is it? That's how this world works now, better toughen up and get use to it." She scoffed, triumphant in her words, "I mean. Did she really believe that the Dark Lord would give her the mark?! It's only for the inner circle after all." 

"Then let her take the bandages off." 

"No, I don't think I will," she scowled, leaning close to Draco's face, "it helps keep her in check." 

Draco only glared as Alecto sauntered off, Draco's nails digging into his palms as his mind raced for a solution. But like everything else, nothing came to mind.

"What're you looking so ticked off about?" Angelina's voice floated around Draco who had remained in his spot in the deserted hallway. 

"Nothing," his mind raced as Angelina watched him with a worried look, "I need you to pack some clothes. We're going on a trip." 

"What? What're you going on about now?" 

"For once in your life, trust me, Ange," Draco looked down at Angelina, trying to convey as many emotions as he could just in a look. 

"Yeah.....when do you want me to be ready then?" 

"In an hour."