Chapter Twenty-four

Angelina rubbed her hands together, trying to keep the cold away but it wasn't working. It seeped through her clothing and under her skin, her body began shivering as she followed her parents through the grey halls. Pansy walked in front of her, with shoulders back and her chin held high, sauntering through the familiar home. 

Things were becoming dire, people were being called into the Ministry of Magic if they were a Muggleborn or even Half-blood. Angelina watched the wanted list grow and grow as days passed, Draco stopped showing up and writing to her. It was for her benefit, but it bothered Angelina to no end and it sort of hurt. But Draco was only trying to keep her safe. 

The doors at the end of the hall opened with a long creaking noise from the hinges, Angelina flinched but felt warmth touch her skin and drive away the numbing that had started in her body. A long wooden table sat in the middle of the room, one figure sat at one end of the table, Angelina's parents took seats at the far end, she went to join them but a hand stopped her. Pansy was shooting her a warning look before dropping her hand, she shook her head once as Angelina only glared at her. 

"You two go outside the doors," the figure at one end of the table snapped, Pansy and Angelina turned on their heels and stepped into the freezing hall. Angelina frowned, she had just warmed up and she was forced to be out in the cold again. 

"Why're we here?" Angelina looked at Pansy who crossed her arms, sighing heavily. 

"No clue, I've heard mum and dad talking a few weeks ago. But I'm not exactly sure," Pansy muttered. 

Angelina chewed on the inside of her cheek as they stood there in silence, "maybe they've figured out what you're up to."

"What exactly is that?" Angelina snorted. 

"I hear voices from your room every night, you can't fool me for once," Pansy growled. 

Angelina only rolled her eyes, "whatever you say." 

"Have you talked to Draco recently?" 

Angelina looked at her sister, giving her a confused look while trying to remain innocent, "it's not like you care." 

"No, I don't actually," Pansy grunted, leaning back against the closed doors. "I hope we can leave soon." 

Angelina only nodded once, in the past visiting Malfoy Manor was an exciting trip the girls looked forward to--even in Draco's brooding fashion, he was entertaining under the right circumstances. But the place looked different; it looked cold and unwelcoming, even though it had always seemed like a dark place, the darkness took over the walls and floors even the candles seemed dimmer now. 

Angelina slid to the floor, pulling her knees under her chin and closing her eyes as thoughts of warmth flited through the freezing girl's mind. 

"Parkinson." 

Angelina's eyes snapped open, heart jumping with excitment as Draco hurried down the hall way, but her smile slid from her face at Draco's blank expression. 

"What're you doing here?" He snapped at the girls, only giving a single glance in Angelina's direction. 

"Our parents are talking with yours about something," Pansy stated simply. Draco only glared at the sealed down behind him, "I'm going to the kitchen, come get me when we're leaving," Pansy brushed pass Draco without a second look. 

Angelina raised an eyebrow, she hadn't seen the two interact recently, but she didn't think Pansy would act so casual about seeing Draco again. 

"Honestly, tell me what's going on," Draco breathed, the urgency in his voice made the hairs on Angelina's neck stand up.