Chapter Twenty Three

Things were much worse than they had been before, with Potter getting away again Malfoy Manor was thrown into more chaos, and from Draco's perspective, terror. Draco wasn't left to his own thoughts anymore, his mother was over his shoulder every second he left his room, even on the days where he decided to stay in his room, she would come in to check on him. 

"He...would like to speak to you, Draco," his mother whispered one evening as she stepped into his room. 

Draco had managed to move a loveseat into his room and press it against the far wall, as he placed his book beside him on the plush cushion he got up and silently followed his mother downstairs. Sitting at the head of their dining table was the Dark Lord himself, Draco shuddered before forcing his mind blank and his face indifferent. 

"Please sit, Draco," Voldemort motioned to the chair at the opposite end of the table that faced him, Draco's parents sat in the middle of the long table, looking at their hands. "I hope you know that I can not be easily fooled, Draco," Nagini appeared over Voldemort's shoulder, slowling slithering up the length of the chair. The hairs on Draco's neck began to stand up, "so tell me.....where have you been going recently?" 

Draco felt sweat forming on his neck, his pulse quickening. It was true that Draco was secretly leaving the Manor, after seeing Angelina they agreed to see each other every two weeks for a few hours while sending letters as many times as possible. Draco didn't know why he was keeping it a secret, after all, Angelina was a Pureblood with nothing to lose, except there was a chance that Voldemort could use her against him if Voldemort ever figured out that Draco had something that could be used as a tool against him. 

"Excuse me.....my Lord?" The last words felt foreign on his tounge. 

Voldemort gave a smug smirk as his long fingers grazed the snake's skin, "don't play innocent, boy. I see everything that happens in this house and your absense during meetings is one of them." 

"I've been sick my lord," Draco responded calmly, all he had to do was lie until he was released, "I didn't think attending a meeting where I may projectile vomit would classify as a welcomed thing." 

Voldemort gave a curt nod, his red eyes flicked over to Draco who flinched slightly, "while I think that is good reasoning....I don't believe you." 

"And why is that, sir?" Draco questioned, the sweat on the back of his neck worsened and sent chills up and down his spine. 

"Because your parents have told me that you have been leaving the premises," Voldemort's smirk turned into a grin, as if he'd won. 

"The only time I've left this house was to get my school supplies," Draco looked at his parents, sitting like statues with blank expressions on their faces. Did his parents really say something or was this all an elaborate plan to get Draco to talk about his departures? Draco thought he was fine, didn't think his parents had noticed or maybe they had and never wanted to bring it up. 

"Well....." Voldemort paused for a long time, Draco felt the pushing that was asscoiated with Legicmency. He automatically let him in, keeping his mind blank as Voldemort searched for what he needed. "Speaking of school....you will in fact not be going back to school." 

Draco gave a curt nod, letting the silence fill the room, "aren't you going to ask why, Draco?" his mother promted him with a small smile. 

"Why, may I ask?" Draco drawled, playing along in this boring conversation. "I don't see what use I would be around here after all." 

Voldemort slowly spun his wand between his forefinger and lifted a shoulder as if to shrug, "I feel you can be of use once I think of something." His eyes narrowed at the blonde and Draco chewed the inside of his cheek, not sure how to respond.