chapter 18

==

"Max and Nate sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G!"

"I swear, your sister and brother combined are the worst" Nate muttered, burying his face in Max's chest.

Max chuckled and put an arm around his boyfriend as Gemma made kissy noises.

"Seriously? You're starting to sound like a 7 year old" Max said, rolling his eyes.

"But you guys are so cute!" Gemma said as Harry went back behind the counter to sort out the cash register.

Nate had both arms wrapped around Max's waist now as Max was pulled against him.

"Yeah we are pretty adorable" Max grinned, a hand reaching out to touch Nate's cheek.

"What can I say? We make rainbows melt and unicorns puke melted rainbows" Nate returned the grin.

"Okay this just got disgusting" Gemma muttered, going back to her work as Max leaned down to place a soft kiss on Nate's lips.

"Back room?"

"Back room."

"Ryder? Ryyyder!"

Max snapped out of his inner thinking and looked up at the voice that was calling him.

It was Alec.

"Oh right yeah?" He asked.

"I said do you want to play something else? You pretty suck at this" Alec laughed as Max's zombie on the TV screen was being eaten alive and "Game Over" flashed across the screen.

"Oh yeah, sorry. I was..." Max brushed it off, laughing awkwardly.

"Thinking about Nate?" Alec helped.

Max was nodding absentmindedly until he realised what Alec had said.

"Pfffttttttt whaaaat noooo... I wasn't! Nate? What? nooo, not like that! Pffft"

It was a poor attempt and he knew it.

"Cmon Ryder, it's so obvious"

Max chewed on his bottom lip as Alec called him Ryder. Could he trust him?
The boy was putting in another game and Max contemplated on telling him the truth until Alec spoke again.

"But it still won't stop me"

Max looked at with a confusion on his face.

"Stop you?"

"From getting you, unrequited feelings can only hurt for so long Ryder and if you're ready to move on then I'll still be here" Alec shrugged.

Max's eyes widened.

Wait!

What?

"What do you mean?" He asked, ready to stand up.

Alec laughed as his cheeks reddened.

"Wow you really are oblivious?"

"You like me?" Max asked incredulously.

"Yes, stop looking so scared im not going to rape you" Alec rolled his eyes.

Max wanted to bolt.

"I thought Nate was lying" he frowned.

"Well Nate is a pretty good observer, and he wasn't. But can we not make this awkward? We're friends and I'll leave it to you to make us into something more."