chapter 24

+

"Did you just-"

"No! Nope- NOPE, I'm going back to bed!" Nate ran for the stairs, in hopes of going to the door fast enough but his legs weren't doing him any justice compared to Max's long ones.

"Yeah, nice try" Max snorted, pulling Nate back by the waist.

''Max, let me go" Nate huffed, annoyed by his stronger boyfriend.

"Not after you say it again"

"Say what?" Nate was being difficult as Max rolled his eyes, pulling Nate closer so they were pressed up against each other. Well, Nate couldn't escape now could he?

"I hate you" Nate mumbled as Max leaned his forehead onto Nate's. Nate's breath hitched as Max gently brushed their lips against each other.

"Wrong answer" Max replied.

Nate sighed as Max's hold tightened around his waist.

"I'm in love with you, Maxwell Styles. Totally fucking irrevocably in love with you so can you please let me go so I can bury myself in embarrassment!" Nate half whisper shouted the last part and dropped his head, looking down at the floor to hide his red cheeks.

Max let out a breath. This was what he was waiting for right? For Nate to finally realise what they had before the accident- it was real. For Nate to remember the whispered three letter words that they give each other.

But this Nate hasn't remembered anything, this Nate loves him for who he is now and Max has to admit, he had changed after that accident and Nate loves him.

''Max?" Nate's voice sounded vulnerable.

Max looked at Nate, their eyes locked and searching as if to somehow find out what the other was saying.

''I love you too, the now you- the you before the accident, just you'' Max finally said, pressing a kiss to Nate's head as the shorter of the two buried his face in Max's chest.

''I'm glad'' Nate mumbled as Max tightened his hold even more, intending to never let go.

+

''Are you kidding me?'' Niall glared at the couple sprawled out on the couch, cuddling and deep in sleep. Niall was in one of Harry's tshirt he nicked from his boyfriend's last visit to Ireland and sweatpants

''Morning babe'' Harry mumbled sleepily, his voice thick with sleep as he shut the door he and Max shared.

Harry was confused when Niall didn't reply and continued glaring at the cuddling couple with a small frown.

''Hey'' Harry wrapped his arms around Niall's waist from behind and kissed his cheek softly, nudging Niall's cheek with his nose to get a reaction out of his blonde boyfriend who was still glaring at the couple.