CHAPTER 8

I arrived home and told gran about my meeting with Cole. She said he sounded genuine and if he passes the truth serum, she will help him take care of his Shamma problem. I laughed at the way she put it in because she made it seem as if it’s as easy as ABC. I know if Shamma doesn’t abide with any of gran’s rules, gran might kill her and raise her kids without remorse. That’s how ruthless she can be sometimes. Gran is not an irrational person. She doesn’t regret her actions because she thinks intensely before taking action. She thinks about the pros and cons of her action. She makes calculated moves every time and if she were a gang leader, her gang would rule above all other gangs.

I shower and wear black leather mini skirt, long sleeved t-shirt, black Hibacci sneakers and a black cap. I take my car keys, phones, guns and head out. I get on my bike and drive straight to the warehouse where Bo is kept. I get there and find Sange chatting with Mellow, a member of the gang. I just greet them then head to Bo’s room. I get inside and find him sleeping while tied to a chair.

“Beast, get me cold water.” Beast who is in charge of security rushes out and comes back with the bucket full of cold water. I take it and pour it at Bo. He wakes up gasping for air. “Hi.” I smile.

“You got what you wanted, to destroy me and kill my family. You have won, just end my miserable life already.” I chuckle shaking my head.

“I was expecting a ‘how are you doing today empress?’ or a ‘good evening your majesty.’ You are always disappointing Bo. Now let’s play a game. You answer the questions correctly, I will extend your days on earth. How’s that?” he doesn’t answer. “Your silence means you agree and you understand. Beast get me my chair.”

“Sure boss.” He leaves and comes back with the chair and places it in front of Bo.

“Thank you.” I take a seat and stare at Bo straight in the eyes. He holds my gaze and doesn’t back down. “How long have you been a gangster?” he chuckles. “Bo I was serious, one correct earns you another day on earth. Another day to plan an escape and my doom. I’d take the shot if I were you.”

“I have been a gangster for 58 years.”
“When you first started, what did you specialize in?”
“Drugs trafficking, women abduction, hijacking.”
“Did you ever rape any of the women you abducted?”
“Some of them.” I nod.
“Did you have any relationship with King Ty?” he clears his throat.
“Yes. We were once friends.”
“What happened?”

“A deal went south and I threatened to harm his wife. He ended our friendship and we have been enemies since, until of course the time when he passed on, but I am pretty sure he considers me as an enemy in the afterlife.”

“Do you regret killing him?”
“Yes. Because I wanted to do human trafficking in his territory and he didn’t want to get into business with me. Even when he was dead, Q followed in his footsteps.”

“What were you expecting? Human trafficking is a serious thing. Diamonds, gun smuggling and money laundering is better because it doesn’t include playing God with someone’s life.”

“Slavery isn’t something new. It has been happening since the beginning of time. There is no surprise there. There are also gangs here in South Africa who participate in it.”

“But not in Ty’s territory. They know the consequences of their actions. So tell me, why did you risk with you nephew’s life?”

“It was a mistake. He volunteered, it was supposed to be quick but I guess we underestimated your computer system.” I nod.
“Why did you harm my brother?”
“Because I knew you were going to harm my nephew.”

“Beast bring me my tool box and a duct tape.” He rushes out. “I did say answering my questions will extend your days on earth but I didn’t say you are pardoned from the torture.” Beast comes back and hands me what I asked for. I tape Bo’s mouth and then kneel before him. I take out a harmer and start hitting his toes. “This is just a warm up. Buckle up.” I turn to Beast. “Take him to the cross.” Bo tries to say something. “I can’t hear you. You will have to speak louder than that.”
.
.
I get to Silungile’s house and find him sleeping on the couch. I cover his body with a throw and go take a shower. When I am done, I wear my nightie and then head back to the lounge. I order dinner for us and I start cleaning up. I sweep the floor and wash the dishes in the kitchen sink. I then head to the bedroom and take his laundry. I quickly do it because there isn’t many clothes. When I am done, the bell rings, I go take our order and pay. I put the food in the kitchen counter. I head back to the lounge and find him sitting up.

“Afternoon babe.” I chuckle.
“It’s already 8:30pm my love.” his eyes pop out.
“How long have I been sleeping?”
“I don’t know but I arrived here around 6pm.”
“Didn’t you get bored?”
“Nope, I cleaned, washed our clothes and cooked.” He laughs.
“What was the last part baby?” I laugh and cover my face with my hands.
“It’s the thought that counts nje babe.” He pulls me to sit on top of him.
“Did you at least order?”

“Obvious my love. What drained your energy this much?” he buries his head on my neck.
“I last slept the day before yesterday. There is some research I was doing. I guess I lost track of time.”
“It happens to the best of us. Do you wanna take a shower?” he raises his head and looks at me.

“If you’re going to join Me.” he wiggles his eyebrows and I giggle.
“But I showered when I got here.” he pouts.
“Then I am not taking a shower.”
“You are such a baby yazi.” He smiles.
“I love you too.” He stands up with me in his arms and we head to the bathroom.
.
.
“When do you want umkhehlo to happen?” he asks me while we are eating.

“Is it necessary though? Like I don’t like it and I don’t feel like doing it babe. I just wanna get married to you.” He sighs.

“So you don’t wanna have umkhehlo?” I shake my head. He exhales out loud. “I guess I have to tell my family that we won’t be having it.”

“Instead of it, we can have an official engagement party. People can bring gifts there.”
“That actually sounds good MaChiliza.” I look at him with a bored face. “Whatever Miss Thompson.” I laugh.

We finish eating and then we cuddle on the couch while watching Lucifer on Netflix. I really wish to tell him about my other life but I am afraid of losing him. Whether he reports me or dumps me, I am afraid of the outcome. He is one of the few people in this world whom I care deeply for. He is soft, gentle, caring, kind-hearted and loving. I am sure if he were to find out that I am a cold blooded killer, he won’t look at me the same way. But I deserve someone who will love me and appreciate me for who I am, the whole me and not the incomplete me. That is why I have decided that it’s now or never. Fuck fear. If I die, I die. I turn to face him.

“Babe there is something I have to tell you.” He turns to look at me.
“What is it my love?” I clear my throat. It’s now or never.
“The thing is I love you so much and I don’t wanna lose you…”
“Me too babe. I’d die if I lost you.” Why did he have to interrupt me?

“That why I have to tell you this.” His phone rings and I curse under my breath.
“Can we pause a little on the confession discussion?” he says teasingly and I fake a smile. He takes his phone and he answers it. “It’s work babe, can I go answer it somewhere else?” I nod and he goes to the kitchen. I sigh. Was that phone call a coincidence or a sign from the universe that I shouldn’t tell him? I guess I will tell him next time but surely not today. He comes back a few minutes later.

“Now where were we?”
“You were telling me about your crazy grandpa.” He laughs.
“Oh that guys is such a character.” He starts telling me stories about his crazy adventurous grandpa and I just laugh here and there but my mind is not here.
.
.
.
#TheEmpress