CHAPTER 26

“I know a way to get her back.” Sange said while drinking wine. She was on her third glass now and was feeling tipsy. That was the main reason why she was drinking because things were still not good. The second month was coming to an end and there still wasn’t a sign of Adriane but the number of the killings were still increasing. She was not targeting gang leaders.

“Is it you speaking or it’s the wine?” Salizwa asked. They were in their house. They stayed together in a modern house in Fourways. Salizwa was cooking while Seipati was cleaning the fridge. Sange was just sitting on the barstool drinking with an iPad in front of her.

“You know alcohol doesn’t make me say silly stuff.” She said tapping on her iPad furiously.
“Okay then. Let’s hear your brilliant idea.” Seipati said.

“Clara. She is the secret weapon. Clara is like Adriane, okay with a better fashion sense, but she is Adriane’s twin. They think alike. They are like the same person. She can find out where Adriane is.”

“That can work but if it doesn’t, we are dragging Silu out of that island. Honestly the statistics are too much now. She has broken my record.” Salizwa said pouting and the other two just laughed at her.

“Okay let me call her.” Sange said and headed to the lounge to take her phone.
--
Few days later Clara landed at the airport. Sange, Salizwa and Seipati were already waiting for her. They exchanged greetings and then led her to the car. They hadn’t told her why they asked her to come. They drive to their house. They get inside and serve her wine.

“Okay. Why am I here and where is Adriane?” Clara asked while sipping her wine.
“She has been missing for almost two months now.” Seipati said. Clara nearly choked on her wine. Her eyes popped out.

“I guess that’s why she has been sending texts once a week. What happened? I have been so busy with the fashion shows from Miami to Milan. I hadn’t had time to do a lot of stuff.”
“She broke up with Silu after he was kidnapped because of her.” Seipati replied.

“After that she left?”
“No. Silu left first, then his tracker was undetectable. After that Adriane went off the grid and has been killing people fast like flies for this whole period.” Salizwa said. Clara swallowed hard.

“If you were in her shoes, where would you be hiding?” Sange asked.
“Can I shower first? I will answer you.” Clara said. Salizwa stood up and led her to the guest bedroom.
--

“If I were her, I would probably be hiding in plain sight. Not necessarily hide. Just go to some place where nobody would think of searching for me.” Clara said while making her way down the stairs. The ladies were sitting at the lounge watching TV.

“What place would that be?” Seipati said.
“I will think about it. Can you please drive me to gran’s house?” she was already carrying her handbag.

“Okay let’s go. I am pretty sure there are fresh baked goods. You can never separate that woman with the kitchen.” They all laughed. They got out of the house and climbed into the car. Salizwa was the one driving. They got to the house and gran was so happy to see Clara. She hugged her tight.

“Il mio bambino. (My baby).” Gran said as she perked her lips.
“How are you gran?”
“Very happy that you are here.”

“Aren’t you happy to see us?” Seipati asked. Gran chuckled and hugged them.
“I see you guys almost every day. Don’t be jealous.”
“Where are the scones?” Sange asked making her way to the kitchen.

“Dare touch anything there, I am going to kill you.” Gran said and Sange just laughed. Seipati and Salizwa followed Sange.
“Do you have a basement?” Clara asked gran in a low tone.

“Yes. Why?” gran asked frowning.
“There is something I wanna check and relax I am not going to plant a bomb.” Grand laughed.

“That’s exactly what Adriane would. Fine, you will find us at the kitchen. The entrance is below the staircase.” Gran went to the kitchen while Clara went to the staircase.
--
***CLARA***
This is just a wild guess. I don’t know which place I am going to if I don’t find her here. I open the door that leads to the basement. I descend the stairs which are dark but as soon as I step in each, lights light up. I get to the bottom and open the door. It’s very odd that this door is unlocked. I get inside and look around. This place is nice and cozy. A safe haven for another person. I look around and see her lying the double bed in the corner. I go to the bed and shake her, seems like she is asleep. She wakes up and her eyes pop out when she sees me.

“Lara, what brings you here?” she asks while sitting up.
“You.” I say sitting next to her. “How long is this going to go on?”
“What are you talking about?” she asks frowning.

“Don’t tell me you have another serial killing personality which goes out in the night and kill people.” She chuckles.
“Empress is like that.”
“Why are you doing this to yourself?”

“He left me. Why should I carry on with my life when he took my heart and left with it?” she asks and tears start falling from her eyes. I don’t say anything, I just hug her tightly.
“But killing people won’t bring him back.”
“They deserve it.” I laugh and she also laugh.

“Stop killing people. You think he is going to come back while you are busy being a serial killer here?” she shrugs.
“Whatever. Why are you here?”
“Your crew knew that I will be the only one who will be able to find you.”
“And you did.”

“After one guess. I am really a genius.” She laughs.
“Five points for you.” I laugh.
“Now go bath so that you can see your loved ones. They really miss you.” She sniffs herself.
“I stink?”

“Of blood. Go.” She laughs and stands up. She heads to one of the cubicles here. I stand up and make the bed.
“I don’t know where you get the nerve to tell a whole empress that she stinks.” She shouts from the cubicle and I just laugh.
“I am a Thompson and Thompsons are brave.” I shout back and she laughs.
.
.
.
#TheEmpress