CHAPTER 23

I have given him enough time really. It has been two weeks since I last saw Silu and since our last intense talk. Today I am going to his apartment. He was discharged a few weeks ago. I finish dressing up and head to my bike. I climb it, put on my helmet, start the car and drive off.

I get to his house and head inside. I have the keys to the gate and door obviously. I get to the lounge and found the TV on, which means he is at the kitchen or at the toilet. I head to the kitchen first and find him cooking something on the stove. He is barefoot and is only wearing boxers.

“Hi.” I greet him. He doesn’t even turn.
“What brings you here Adriane?” I cringe. Ever since the Shreya saga, he has been calling me Adriane and it hurts because I am not used to him calling me that.

“Is it a crime to check up on my fiancé?”
“The one you haven’t seen in two weeks?”

“I was giving you some space.”
“You always assume when it comes to me neh? You kept your other identity from me because you assumed that I will somehow dump you. You didn’t come to see me because you assumed I needed bloody space. Dammit Adriane!” he bangs the stove and the pot nearly jumps.

“You are going to hurt yourself.” I say going closer to him. He turns to look at me.
“You care about me, how nice.” He says sarcastically.

“But what was I supposed to so? You were so cold at me at the hospital.” I sulk.
“Maybe we need some time apart so that we can figure out what we really want.” He says leaning on the counter.

“No you don’t mean that. We had time apart. These past two weeks is enough. Don’t make me go through that again. Please.” He turns to give attention to his pot and then turns off the stove.
“Let’s go sit down so that we can talk.” I hate talking but if I need to talk in order to save my marriage then so be it. We head to the lounge and sit on opposite couches. “How about you formally re introduce yourself?” I chuckle.

“Adriane Thompson, 24 years old. Business woman and leader of the Cobras. Member of the Italian cartel and a future mafia queen of the South African Mafia.” He chuckles.
“Future? Meaning you are not willing to leave the game?”

“It’s not the game to me. It’s my life. It’s also my legacy. I can’t run away from it. I love the person I am when I am the Empress.”
“You love ruling, being disconnected from humanity, violence, bloodshed and blood money?”

“It ain’t about the money. It’s more about the power and respect. Many respect and fear me because of the name I have created for myself. I can’t just run away from that. You wouldn’t understand. It’s like a drug. Once you have a taste, you just keep coming back for more.”
“And that’s the life you wanna live? You wanna be the Empress and also be a family woman? A wife? A mother?”

“Who said I can’t have it all?”
“Regina Hall on Girls’ Trip.” I chuckle. We both love that movie. “I got kidnapped, beaten up and shot because of your lifestyle. It’s dangerous. How am I supposed to relax and bring kids to this relationship when we will always be endangered by your lifestyle?”

“But we dated for like three years and nothing happened.”
“Until another crazy Shreya comes for revenge? What did you do to her and her family by the way?” I keep quiet and look down. “You killed them all, didn’t you?”

“I didn’t have a choice. They were also going to come after me just like Shreya did. In our line of business, we never leave loose ends.” He chuckles.
“Loose ends? People’s lives are loose ends? Wow.”

“You are judging me right now and this is what I was afraid of.”
“I am not judging you. I am just trying to understand how taking another person’s life can be this easy for you. How many people have you killed?”

“It doesn’t matter.”
“It fucken does to me. How many?”

“I don’t count.”
“Wow. Please leave.”

“No babe. We can work this out. I love you and you love me. We can make our marriage work.”
“You are a cold blooded murderer and you are not even ashamed of that. You don’t even show remorse. What kind of a woman are you?”

“Babe…”
“Get out.”

“But…”
“Get the fuck out Adriane. I don’t ever wanna see you and the wedding is off.”

“You don’t mean that.”
“Oww but I do. Just leave.” I sit and don’t move. “I SAID LEAVE NOW!” He shouts. I swallow a lump in my throat and stand up. “Leave my keys.” I place his keys on the coffee table. I look at him one more time and then head out.

This is exactly what I was running away from. I knew that he was going to dump me because of the person I am. What I know is that he is my soul mate and I am nothing without him.
.
.
.
#TheEmpress