Chapter Six

Jacob stood outside Leah’s tent, unsure of what to say to her. That fateful day when Jacob’s twin was ripped from his world left a whole in his heart that even Leah could not fill. He had struggled since Jarrod had been taken, and Leah had been the one to take the brunt of his anger. Jacob never dreamed he would find a girl who would love him for who he was, Jacob himself had always thought himself incapable of love.

Jacob had spent most of his youth going from girl to girl, never staying in a relationship longer than he had to. Jacob knew he could get a girlfriend any time he wanted but they wouldn’t be the type of girl who wanted to be with him for who he was. Jacob had realized that the girls he went out with were only with him because of his looks and popularity.

It had taken Jarrod and Abby for Jacob to see what he was missing out on. The time the group spent at the castle had opened Jacobs eye’s to what a real relationship was. Jacob had thought the last person to look at him in that way would be Leah, but they had found themselves thrown together time and time again.

At first both Jacob and Leah had agreed it was nothing more than a bit of fun for them both, but now Jacob knew his life was nothing without her. Jacob again attempted to enter the tent, stepping back at the last moment. He had hurt Leah deeply when he turned his back on her and there was no reason for her to forgive him. Jacob turned his back to the tent prepared to walk away. He took a step just as he heard a rustle. Jacob froze on the spot as he inhaled Leah’s scent, she smelled like cotton candy.

“Are you going to stay out there all night?”

Jacob winced at the anger in Leah’s voice. Removing all emotion from his features he turned back to face her, not looking at her eyes.

“I just came to see if you were okay” Jacob said gruffly.

Leah stood in silence, she looked Jacob up and down from his feet to his head, taking her time to soak him in, and Jacob resisted the urge to return the look.

“Well as you can see I’m fine” Leah finally spoke.

Jacob nodded, still refusing to look Leah in the eyes. Leah sighed.

“Jacob, this has to stop” She said quietly.

Jacob finally met her gaze; the hurt in Leah’s eyes tore at his soul.

“I know” he responded.

Leah stepped forward placing her hand on Jacob’s arm, he winced at the contact causing Leah to draw a breath and step back.

“What have I done to you Jacob? Why do you hate me?”

Jacob’s eyes filled with astonishment. “I don’t hate you Leah, I could never hate you”

“Then why are you punishing me? You won’t talk to me, you won’t let me touch you, what do you want from me Jacob?”

Jacob closed his eyes knowing it was time for Leah to know the truth.

“I’m sorry Leah but we can’t be together, no matter how much we both want it”

Leah could see the determination on Jacobs face, still not understanding the reason behind it.

“Why, please Jacob for the love of god will you just tell me what’s going on?”

“I can’t be happy Leah, not with Jarrod still out there. I feel like I would be betraying him, how can I move on and be happy when he could be out there suffering and in pain. I won’t just sit here and play happy families when my brother needs me”

Leah sighed finally understanding Jacob’s behavior. Slowly Leah reached her hand up and caressed his face, Jacob sighed, closing his eyes and leaning in to her touch. Leah took the opportunity to place her lips on his.