Chapter sixteen

Abby let herself be led down the long hallways without resistance, two guards on either side, neither of her companions seemed to take any pleasure in their task. She was in shock, the fact that events had escalated so dramatically, so  quickly they were hard to fathom.

Magda was dead,  the thought kept repeating itself over and over in Abby's mind. The image of her dead body would be a permanent picture in her head, Magda who was rough, abrupt, loyal and deep down kind hearted.

Abby's senses were on overdrive as she was silently led into a cell. It was dark and dank, no other prisoners occupied the vacant rooms, she was alone. Abby moved further in to her cell that held only a single bed in one corner , the door slammed shut behind her leaving a fine layer of dust to float around the air, the cell had not been used in a long time.

Slowly she moved to the bed and sank down, placing her hands over her face. She squeezed her eyes shut in an effort not to cry. She paid no attention to the retreating guards, her mind a jumble of emotions.

Abby could picture the shocked looks on the faces of those she loved, of those who had stood by her from the beginning. It wasn't those looks that she feared the most, she didn't fear the thought of what could happen to her. No what Abby feared the the most was that one moment, the moment when she had drained Magda of her last life essence. The moment where Abby had felt power running through her veins like never before, the last drop of Magdas blood, that was the moment Abby feared the most, she feared it because she had enjoyed it.

Zane paced his room in a rapid motion, sweat poured down his face, his fists clenched in anger. He was so angry with himself, it was if he had betrayed Abby by telling the others about her troubles, but Zane knew that if they didn't do something about it soon she could lose control and then all would be lost. 

 There was no doubt in his mind that Abby had nothing to do with Magda's death he couldn't believe that those closest to Abby would be willing to turn their backs on her so quickly. The thought of Abby locked up in a cell somewhere brought images to Zanes mind that he did not want to see , with frustration Zane punched the wall. Dust and plaster flew around the room as Zane repeatedly took out his anger on the palace walls, with each punch is anger and frustration grew not just with the murder but himself also.

He turned to another wall and raised his fist and punched with all his might. Nothing happened, his fist did not move, there was no shattering of his target. 

"I think thats enough, don't you"

"Calli, if you know what's good for you, you better let me go and leave right now."

Zane immediately felt his arm drop to his side. Instead of carrying on his path of destruction he turned to the one person who he thought would never betray him.

"How could you?"

"I don't understand" Calli replied.

"Do you really think that Abby is responsible for Magda's death? How could you just turn your back on her after everything she has done for you, for all of us."

Calli stared Zane down for a moment, he saw a flash of anger in her eyes, before she marched right up to him, their noses almost touching.

"I have not and will not turn my back on my best friend." Calli spat. " I know you're hurting Zane but so are we. We all know that what we saw outside was not something Abby would do, not unless she had a reason for it."

"So you do think she had a reason to kill Magda."

Calli swatted Zane across the head and took a step back. "Thats not what I meant" she said with frustration.

"Well what did you mean?"

"I don't know Zane, I just don't know" Calli sat on the edge of the bed, Zane could see she was visibly shaken, her eyes were red from crying.

"Look" Calli began , barely a whisper.

"Abby is my best friend, I mean it Zane, there's nothing I won't do for her. I want to believe she was trying to help, but what if you were right and she just lost control."

"Calli she didn't lose control, look the reason I told Bastien what I did was for her protection, not ours. I know deep down that she would fight it every step of the way. I know she would never actually harm one of us, but it was still the right thing to do. I believe her when she said she was trying to help. My problem is that now because of what I said everyone has turned against her."

Calli stood and put her arms around Zane's stiff body.

"You can't blame yourself, it wasn't because of what you said Zane, we both know that. What else would you expect Bastien to do, she was covered in Magda's blood, and those guards, they never stood a chance. I will stand beside the two of you, we will fight this like we always have, together."

Zane relented, his arms slowly crept around Calli's back seeking the comfort he needed.

"Then we have to find the answer to the one question that needs answering the most"

"Whats that?" Calli asked.

"If Abby didn't do it, who did? Either way its one of our own, no one could have gotten through the defences"

Calli shuddered to think, a murderer amongst them , a traitor to their cause.

"Where is everyone?"

"Everyone is in Leah's room, Julius is with Bastien, no one has seen Salena."

"I'm going to talk with Bastien."

"Zane do you think that's wise when you're angry."

"Yes I do, go stay with the others I wont be long."

Zane followed Calli out and they went their separate ways, Bastien would hold the answers as to what they were going to do with Abby.

The Creator sat on his throne surrounded by his demons. He was getting frustrated by the lack of communication from his followers, he watched as two of the demons began fighting, they tore at each other with such verosity but even that did not move him. His patience began to wear thin, it was time to find out if the mission had been carried out successfully, time was of the essence.

Ignoring the ruckus surrounding him he closed his eyes and concentrated on his contact, his mind wandered across the planes to the one he sought and was pleased to find that they were in the sleeping state.  

Invading dreams was like child's play, however keeping contact had become increasingly difficult for him. Knowing time was short he walked straight in.

"master" the voice quivered , a startled look upon there face.

"Update" the Creator barked.

"It is done, she is dead."

The Creator's lips turned at the edges ever so slightly.

"Good, I take it you have done a thorough job, no one suspects."

"No Master, they have landed the blame on Abby, she tried to save her. Can I go home now?"

The master practically crowed with glee, an interesting turn of events, without their leader the group would be vulnerable. 

"Not yet, I will be in touch."

Not waiting for a response The Creator removed himself and drew his mind back. Opening his eyes he rose from his throne, one of his demons rushed to his side, when he raised his hand the creature cowered in fear. The Creator lowered his hand and placed it on the Demon's shoulder.

"No need to fear, everything is going as planned."