ch. 20: The Bitching Volturi

Raelynn p.o.v.

the Volturi's formation was beautiful and horrible all at once. behund the Volturi force were others-witnesses, like mine. when the long-haired vampire I knew to be Aro stopped, so did the rest, at the exact moment.

"my dear Cullens. I never thought you would sink so low." Aro said, feigning sadness, looking at Renesmee and I. I bared my teeth, which were stronger than diamonds.

"the children are not what they look like, my friend. let us discuss out issues as we used to, in a civilized manner." Grandpa requested.

"fair words, Carlisle, but out of place considering the battalion you've assembled." Aro said, too calm.

"witnesses, as you have gathered. we mean no harm to you." Carlisle answered. the Volturi's audience hissed, growled, and coiled to spring. clearly, some of them wished to be more than witnesses.

"I say again, the children are not immortal. you can feel their warmth, see the red of human blood in their cheeks." Carlisle told them, motioning to us.

"artifice!" Caius snapped.

"perhaps. but how do you explain their heartbeats?" Carlisle asked. you could see Caius falter for a millionth of a second. he didn't answer.

"the proof is in my thoughts." Grandpa told Aro, offering his hand.

"thank you, Carlisle, but I would prefer the mind of someone more central to the story. Edward, as the children cling to you and your newborn mate, I assume you are involved." Aro said, turning to my father. I hissed.

"it's okay, Lynnie." Daddy whispered, pulling some hair back from my face. he kissed my cheek, then Nessie's, and went forward. I knew Momma was angry that she had not been kissed, jealous of me and my sister, and smiled a tiny, smug smile of triumph. for once, I had what she wanted-and Isabella would never get it back.

Aro read Daddy's thoughts, and they had a silent mental conversation. I knew Aro knew I heard, and didn't care.

"Edward, may I meet your daughters?" Aro asked. I bared my teeth as the guard and Volturi witnesses alike growled at this revelation.

"Bella, bring some friends." Daddy ordered my mother. I would not let her govern me.

"Emmett, Jacob, Seth." I listed. Emmett came quickly, while Seth and Jake pulled closer to my sister and I. Momma growled as I began the distance, the others keeping pace. I was first to reach Aro, and I smiled at him. Aro offered his hand to me, but Renesmee touched his cheek instead, and he was given a rush of memories. it was then I heard his true intent:

kill them, despite their innocence.

but not all. take her.

take Raelynn Elizabeth Cullen.