ch. 17: Seth's gift

the next day, actual Christmas, we went to Grandpa Charlie's. but first, I had to dress and have a breakfast of  chocolate chip pancakes, bacon, and orange juice for Renesmee and milk for me. normal milk was good, but formula was disgusting.

 normal milk was good, but formula was disgusting

"I wish this was Alice-approved." I muttered. Daddy looked up from the book he was reading and picked me up.

"we all wish they were here, precious. and I wish you had your mother's love today, more than any other day. but there's nothing we can do, so just try to enjoy this." Daddy told me.

I'll try. I thought. we'd mostly stopped communicating through thoughts, like Renesmee talked unless she had to use her gift, but sometimes it was nice just to not have to say stuff, and to just have my daddy know anyway.

I love you, baby girl. you know that? Daddy thought.

"yes. why wouldn't I?" I asked him. he sighed.

"I just want you to remember that." he said simply. the look on his face told me not to ask more. instead, I curled into him and let him buckle me in. Jacob was coming with us, and Seth was already there. I hadn't seen him since I first discovered my fire powers, and I missed him. I hoped he missed me, too. also, THE CAR IS STUPID.

"we're here." Momma told us, mostly my sister, turning around. I unbuckled, opened the door, and walked up with Daddy. he held my hand, to reassure me. I hadn't seen Charlie in a month, so I was nervous. especially because of my newly discovered fire abilities.

Momma knocked, and Charlie came out. he picked me up and smiled at me.

"Hello, Lynnie. how are you?" he asked.

"good." I whispered shyly. I still did that when I got nervous.

"Grandpa Charlie?" Renesmee asked. he put me down, picked her up and twirled her. yes, she was his favorite. so things weren't even. Renesmee was still loved more than I was.

I felt Daddy wrap his arms around me and pick me up in comfort, and I curled into him.

"come inside. Lynnie, Seth's been waiting to see you. he's more desperate than he should be..." Grandpa Charlie told us. I perked up and practically ran inside-to him. the only place that felt as safe as in his arms was in daddy's. no words were needed.

I knew from her thoughts Sue Clearwater was watching me, because I was her son's imprint. what that is, I don't know. Daddy refuses to tell me.

"are you okay?" Seth asked.

"yeah, I am." I told him. he was comfortingly hot, in a different way from Daddy's cold. Daddy's touch was soothing. you always wanted it once you got it, in a nice way. Seth's was like drinking hot chicken broth. it's almost uncomfortably hot, but also comforting and homey.

a few hours passed. we had lunch, and then Sue's chocolate chip cookies. Seth and Jacob ate like...well, like wolves. annoying, 108 degree, can't-live-with-can't-live-without wolves. and then it was time for presents.

Seth handed me a small box. I opened it, and inside was a bracelet.

it symbolized the two sides of me: shy, sweet, and subdued, bold, sassy, and fierce

"I love it." I whispered. and I did.