Book Two, Part One-Letting the Hunter Take Over

It's back...and better than ever! Hope you like it! By the way, Liz is a little different in the begining of this book, but will soon be fine again, I promise...

Book Two - Dawn

Part One - The Return

Pulling back from my latest prey, I stared into their tear-filled eyes. Such fools. Wandering out alone after dark. Didn't they know that scary things lurk in the shadows? It was an easy catch. They'd wondered down the lonely ally, and it just happened to be that I was in that ally too. And it had just been so easy from then. I'd just drained my latest victim of blood, and now needed to kill them. As clean as I've always been, I tightly gripped the sides of their face, and twisted. The person's neck broke with a loud crack. If I had not been what I was, It might have made me shudder. Smiling in satisfaction, I slung the body over my shoulder, and ran off into the night. I traveled the same way as I always do, the way that lead to the perfect hiding place for bodies, and leap into the river. Keeping tight hold on the body, I swam down to the floor of the river, and with my spare hand, I moved a large boulder, and wedged the limp form into it's place. So the body didn't float to the surface, and used the boulder as a weight. Or a paper weight if you like. If the body was some paper. I could have swam for hours, and not lose my breath. That was one of the many perks of being a vampire. Reaching up, I swam to the surface, and started to tread water. Looking up, I noticed that the moon was full.

After admiring the glow of the moon, I stepped up onto the bank, and shook myself dry. Not wanting to stay in my current location, and wanting to get dry, I decided to run back to my apartment that I'd owned for eleven months.

It was quite nice, and a great deal for the money I'd spent. I took a steaming shower, and changed into my favourite black jeans, black tank top, combat boots, and leather jacket. Satisfied with myself, I headed to the kitchen, and pulled out a blood bag that I'd stolen from the hospital. I used my power alot more frequently now. It helped me to feed. I ripped into the bag, and let the blood trickle down my throat. Even though it wasn't as good as the real stuff, it still tasted good as a snack. Knowing it was empty, I threw it in the bin, and licked my lips. Life was so much easier now. No one to know my every move. No stupid wolf to follow me around. No way of being traced by the Volturi. Sighing, I remembered the time I'd left.

Clutching the crumpled letter, and my packed bags, I ran to the Cullen's home. I slammed open the doors, and burst inside. Nine pairs of eyes turned my way, and stared. The only one who didn't look surprised, was Alice. She looked at me solumly, and ran to my side. Her hands clutched me tightly in a hug. Her lips formed the words that had kept me strong.

"Be safe. Goodbye." She whispered in my ear, as her hold on me tightened, and then she pulled back.

"Goodbye?"

I turned to look at Bella, her expression confused. Slowly, I reached out my palm, holding out the letter. Still confused, she picked it up anyway, and read the words.

"I-...go. Just run, Liz. And don't ever look back."

"Thank you, Bella." I grasped her in one of our famous hugs, and sqeezed. "Have a happy life."

As I was about to leave, I heard faint sobbing. A frown covered my face, and I ran to Renesmee, and lifted her into my arms.

"Shhhhh, little bear. I'm so sorry, but I have to."

"I know. Bye bye."

Shaking it off, I cursed myself. I couldn't get emotional now. It had been a whole year. A whole year since that stupid letter, and since I'd left them stupid vegetarian vampires. And yet, I still felt the presence of that same letter, in my left pocket. Even if it was stupid, it was the only thing I had left of humanity. Of him. I read the words over another time.

Elizabeth,

I still have not managed to get away. Aro was furious with me for letting you get away, but I was willing to take the punishment. I miss you so much. The feel of your beautiful presence in the room. Your long hair wrapped in my fingers. Your eyes glowing as they look into mine. Your smile, your laugh. The feel of your lips under mine. The feel of my body against mine. The way we fit together like clockwork. I've missed you so much. And as soon as I can, I will find you, no matter what. I need you. Without you I feel like someone has punched a hole through my heart. I don't know if you feel the same, but I know you care. However, I'm afraid that this is not a letter just to tell you how much I love you. You need to be careful. The Volturi was enraged when you left. Especially Alec and Aro. It felt like you were their secret weapon, found out by their enemies. Try to keep out of sight from everyone. And keep yourself a secret. There're coming for Liz, coming to get you back. And I'm coming too.

All my love,

Demitri.

And I'd never thought about them at all. The only one who I remotely cared about was Renesmee. But I was a hunter now, and I couldn't let love overtake me. It's such a pathetic emotion to have.

***

The view was beautiful. Especially from my perch on the tree. I loved sitting in the highest part of the tree. Letting the whole world pass me by. I did this quite often. Sit in the tree. You'd be surprised how much time you have as a vampire. But this time, I was here for a reason. I knew one of them was coming. They'd sent one to watch me, and when I had chased them away they'd sent another. The only one who I'd had so far was Alec. He'd been sent three times. And to my confusion, my mind control didn't work on him. But I'd chased him away eventually. I saw the head of them straight away. And knew exactly who it was. Jane. I leaped from my perch and landed directly in front of her. Letting the hunter take over, I hissed.

"Now, now. I've just been sent to retrieve you. Since my brother has failed to. I don't want to ruin our friendship." She reasoned.

"Ha, friendship! What friendship? If we were friends I wouldn't want to rip you apart."

"Please don't make me use my ability." She begged.

"Go on. Just try it."

Since I'd left, I'd become alot stronger. And faster. I don't know how, but it all started after I found that mind control didn't work on Alec. And somehow I knew they were linked. If I really tried, I'd be able to attack Jane. So surprising her, as she tried to mentally burn me, I grabbed her from behind, pushed her down, and sat on her back, pushing her head to the floor and gripping her wrists. She spat out dirt.

"How...?"

"I'm alot stronger than you think, Jane. Now, I'll let you go if you leave and never come back. After all we don't want to ruin our friendship."

"No. I'm not leaving. Your more like me than you've ever thought. You're a monster."

"So what? I've killed a few hundred people. Now you will leave. Or you'll lose your head. Right?"

"No."

I grabbed her hair, and slammed her head against the floor.

"Right?"

"Right."

I leapt up off of her, and she disapeared into the forest. I knew she'd be back. Or at least one of them would.