Abilities

A pillow is such a good place to cry, if I could. After what I had done, crying would be such a good way to let it out. I lay face down on the bed I no longer needed, sulking, as Demitiri would call it. At least I think he would, I hadn't seen him since yesterday, and I bet he was so disapointed in me. I took a deep breath.

Be strong. Don't let it get to you. You can escape soon.

Hopefully. I best not think that, in case Aro sees. I flipped over on the bed, lifted my head, and sat in a ridgid position. This was what it would be like now, I won't need to breath. I won't need to blink, or even move. Maybe I won't have to do anything, exept feed. And that has no pleasure. I killed fifteen humans yesterday. Three children. I am a monster, forced to kill to survive. I sighed, and stood. My feet didn't feel heavy, as they would've done, when I walked. I ended up in my bathroom, in front of the mirror. I stared at the stranger in the reflection. And crimson red eyes stared back. Pale, chalky skin shone. And no one that I knew had appeared. At that very moment, a song popped into my head. From the Disney film 'Mulan'. A film that I loved. 'Reflection'. That's what it was called. That song is so perfect for me.

***

A few hours later, I sat in that very same room, in the very same ridgid position I had been in, before the stranger appeared. I knew that Alec was approaching the door before he even knocked. I did not answer. And so he let himself in. And sat next to me. When he tried to put his hand on mine, I pulled away, and hissed. A unfamiliar sound, nothing the old me would have done.

"Beth?" Alec said. His stupid nickname for me. Including fifteen deaths, I also found out that Alec was 'supposed' to be my mate. But to me, that seemed impossible.

"Please talk to me."

Silence.

"Beth! Talk to me! You can't be unresponsive for the rest of your existence!" He growled. I just rolled my eyes, and stared at him.

"What is wrong with you? You're supposed to trust me!"

"Yeah, well I don't! And I don't want to talk to you."

"Who do you want to talk to?" He asked.

"Not you."

"Answer me! Or I swear i'll-"

"You'll what? Rip me limb from limb and burn me? Trust me, that would be better than this."

"No it wouldn't. Just let me help." He whispered, reaching for my face.

"Get away from me!" I screeched, slapping him.

"Beth! How dare you!" He shouted back. I knew what was coming.

"Alec!" A voice called. It was Jane. Alec stared at me in defeat, and calmed down dramatically.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"

"Save it, Alec. I knew you were going to use your power on me." I sighed.

"Just answer me, one thing, I promise. Who is it you wanted to talk to?"

"Demitri. Now leave me alone." I commanded, looking into his eyes.

"I will leave you alone." He said mechanically, walking out.

"Huh?" I murmured.

Something wasn't right. At that very moment, Aro burst in, just as Alec left.

"I believe that you have found your power, dear Elizabeth."

***

The words crashed into me. I had an ability. I had an ability! But this meant that I was more powerful to The Volturi.

"Excuse me, me I ask what it is?"

"Mind control, dear. Did you not notice how Alec left without another word? The normal Alec would have become enraged again."

"He did seem a little strange."

"Very. Now, perhaps you could try it out on these two? A human and a vampire." He asked, ushering in two people.

"What would you like me to make them do?"

"Make the vampire tear his own arm off." He said smugly.

"I don't think-"

"Nonsense. He is a criminal, anyway. He would just be killed by us."

"Yes, master." I said.

I turned to the criminal. But technically, all vampires were criminals. We all kill. I looked him in the eyes.

"You will tear your own arm off."

"I will tear my own arm off." He copied. And pulled his arm from it's original place. I grimaced.

"Is this what you had in mind master?"

"Yes. Now make the human wound themself."

I repeated the process.

"You will wound yourself with the knife you keep in your pocket."

"I will wound myself with the knife I keep in my pocket."

I turned away, and tried to block out the scent of the blood. Aro saw my reaction.

"Very good. I am very pleased with you Elizabeth. You may drink."

I tried to resist. Tried not to kill. But the bloodlust took over.

***

It was only half-an-hour later, when Demitri came to visit. Since the door was open, he strided in, unwelcomed. He skidded to a halt when he saw me curled up in a ball on my bed. Slowly, he perched himself on the bed next to me. Looking down, he sighed.

"It seems you've found your power. When you couldn't keep your mouth shut."

I barely laughed."Seems so." I sat up.

"At least you have some life in you." When I didn't comment on his attempt of irony, he held out his arms. "Come here."

I was greatful that it was him who offered, not me who fell into, his arms. I leant into him, and put my arms around his neck. He grasped me tightly, and I let myself melt into him. His lips brushed my ear.

"I just can't keep away from you, Liz." He whispered into my ear. I let out a breath of relief.

"Me neither." I replied against his lips.

And finally I felt whole. With Demitri right now, his lips against mine. Me in his arms. Us. Together.