Chapter 11

ETHAN KENNEDY

As the sun rises, my eyes flutter at the sight of the light coming in the room through the windows. I prop myself up, stretching a bit, letting myself feel the numbness due to sleeping. I look to my side and find my mate, Leon Adler, sleeping by my side. The light cascades down his back, letting me see how glorious his back muscles are. I see every outlined of his back, wanting to be touched. My fingers itch, wanting to feel his skin against my fingertips.

His features are the opposite of mine. His black hair, mopped and tousled, is sticking up everywhere; it has gotten a bit longer since he hasn't had his haircut yet. His cheeks are more prominent than mine. His lashes are a bit shorter, and his lips are full and a bit chapped. It feels like I'm looking at a different person, but I've known these looks for years, and still, I can't get over the fact that Leon Adler chased me and accepted me as a mate.

My heart swells at the thought, constricting as if it would give me a heart attack. There's no denying that even without the bond (at least to me), I've loved this boy all my life. I don't feel any bond yet I know that he's my mate.

I don't even have a wolf. I am the wolf.

And I wonder if he has already noticed it. I wonder if his wolf, Apollo, has tried to connect with me in a way where werewolves are supposed to do. Unfortunately, I haven't been blessed with having a part of me that's pushed at the back of my head. I wish I could know the feeling.

I let my fingers trace his muscles, a smile threatening its way to my lips. Leon hums in satisfaction, scooting a bit closer as a small smile escapes his lips. I watch him with my eyes full of adoration towards him. His eyes flutter, adjusting to the sudden brightness, then meet mine. Ethan props himself up, facing me, letting me see that toned abs he has been working on since he began training with his dad. My eyes flicker to his lips, then back to his face, and I see a faint blush tinting his cheeks.

"Good morning," I whisper to him.

Leon reaches out to me, touching my exposed chest near where my heart lies. He looks at me with adoration in his eyes that it makes me want to cry. He leans forward, wrapping his arms around me and burying his face in the crook of my neck. His skin is warm against mine, and I can feel his warm breath fanning my skin.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," he murmurs, sighing. "I just want to hug you. This is my good morning hug, and my mate deserves to get it each morning we wake up to each other. Good morning."

"You sound cheesy,"

"I never thought I'd be like this," he murmurs, his voice still croaky. He rubs his eyes, stretching his arms again and yawning in the process, before clicking his tongue in a cute manner. I laugh. "I just want to say it feels nice waking up next to you."

"It feels nice waking up next to you," I grab his hand and place it on my chest. He looks at me momentarily blushing. "This beats for you. Since day one. I just want you to know how much you mean to me."

The words tumble out of my mouth, like I've rehearsed it my entire life. Something clicks inside me that makes me want to tell him everything – my worries, my fears, my love for him. I want to tell him that there's something awaiting us when we reach one of the shrines; a news that we wouldn't like. I tried to look into the future, to see a glimpse of us, but it appears there's a blockage, preventing me from seeing how we would end up. But I know I'll just worry him.