38. Home & Coming

Darius Dixon

The knock on the door sounded urgent and loud. Like a hyper energized police officer rushing home for dinner with the inlaws.

"Coming," I said as I wiped my hands with the towel on the counter.

My heartbeat tripped when I opened the door. Jason stood on the other side of the door. His hair was parted slightly and looked fresh and attractive. Like he had walked out of a perfume ad or a billboard. I let my eyes wash over his body a few times before I looked up back up at his face.

He wasn't smiling that was the first thing I noticed but for some reason, his whole demeanour seemed to portray...Joy? His face was calm almost peaceful. He was not sad, anymore. I could see it by the way his eyes seemed to spark with newfound energy and curiosity. His blindingly orange shirt was nothing if not an indicator that he was indeed happy. Or at least that he had shed a few bags of the weight he always seemed to carry on his shoulders. His fingers thrummed the outside of his thigh in an impatient sort of way as If I was taking long to do something. Welcome him in maybe?

The sound of my neighbour's kid giggling in the sun drew my attention for a brief second before I let my eyes roam over Jason once more. His skin looked tanned like he had spent a lot of time in the sun. I guess it should be expected when one goes exploring the world. I glanced behind him and waved at granny Johnson my more eccentric neighbour before turning back to Jason's surprisingly amused face.

"Did you meet any celebrities?" I asked.

"That's what you want to ask me?" He said chuckling before absent-mindedly running his fingers in his hair.

An action so common yet it carried a different weight now. And I wouldn't have noticed the difference if I wasn't studying him. For something, anything. It was like looking at a brand new person. One who didn't hate the world anymore but instead loved every single part of it.

"Uh, No... Maybe?"

"No, I didn't meet any celebrities," he said beaming at me. Before pointedly glancing at the doorknob I still held in place. "Bad Time?"

"No, you just look so organized like your life is in order. I am not used to being at the opposite end of that." I answered honestly before wincing because it definitely sounded better in my head.

"Wow, I can't decide if that is a compliment or an insult," He said chuckling again with a deep rich chuckle that seemed to be brewed in a place filled with mahogany, expensive alcohol and sunsets over open fires.

He seemed so brand new and exotic like a still-life picture frozen in time at the right moment. He appeared so foreign and yet so familiar simultaneously almost as if this whole new personality had been unlocked from underneath his skin. Like the boss level of any video game. The prize at the end of a rainbow. He was a brand new person and yet still the very same.

"You know, I am not complaining but I might start charging viewership per minute if you keep looking at me like museum art." He said laughing before raising an eyebrow.

"You look better than museum art," I whispered ushering him in.

It hadn't been that long had it. Just a year ago I had opened the door to a broken sad man and now it seemed as if an Egyptian Pharaoh was sitting on my couch. Even the way he leaned into the back of the couch with his back straight and shoulders raised made me feel somewhat inferior like I missed the message were we all upgrade.

"So did you like it," I asked pulling a water bottle from the fridge for some reason I felt like offering a beer would defile his new fresh clean body.

"Well...not all the time." He said taking the water bottle I was handing him.

He remained silent after answering me. I guess some habits die hard. At least this part of him I knew. Not that I knew 'him' anymore.

"So."He finally said chuckling lightly.

"So?"

"Yeah, its weird isn't it?"

I made myself comfortable on the couch and tucked my left leg right under me feeling slightly self-conscious about the ratty pink Floyd t-shirt I was wearing. "Weird?"

"Yeah that so much has changed and yet nothing has changed." He said before rubbing the hem of his t-shirt between his thumb and forefinger.

"Yeah. So much."

"I mean, my brother is still gone and this..." He said it with such a wistful tone it took a lot in me not to start apologizing and correcting any misunderstandings I was sure were hanging above our heads.

"Look, Jason. I am sorry. About how things..."

"It's okay. I learnt a lot whilst I was gone. I met a lot of different people. And they taught me a lot. And I realized a lot too."

"You did?"

"Yes."

He sat up just a little straighter before continuing with a sombre serious look on his face. "We are going to need to talk."

"So, not now?"

"No. Now we watch a movie. I am exhausted." He said placing his feet over the armrest and laying his head on my lap. "Pick a movie will you. Any movie."

I relaxed into the couch as I mindlessly scrolled through the tv stations. I guess the talking could wait.

AN: It's been a long time since I did one of these

AN: It's been a long time since I did one of these. But I have been having thoughts. About my future book 😂😂.  I know I am getting ahead of myself but hear me out for a second. Its a good plot. And this song has been on repeat for a month. Anyway here is a clue to what it will be about.

🍪Free Cookie for the Person who gives me the most outrageous guess.