23. Sea & Snaps

Darius Dixon

The date with Jason was great the only problem was avoiding falling into the comfortable routine we had before the fight. And I knew if I did that then this whole thing would blow up in my face. And I needed Jason. I couldn't be without him. The last few weeks had felt like someone was using a grater to scrap my skin. That's how much I missed him. I missed him to the extent that I felt a burning fire a need so unquenchable in me to be by his side. It felt like I had already bonded with him and that bond was what propelled me to get up every morning so without him it made me feel hollow and empty.

Soon after Jason had taken me to the beach. The place had been secluded and looked like it was one of those spots you only found after searching for three weeks and four hours. Large rocks that looked like they used to be boulders lined one side and the other side was a kopje made of balancing large rocks. The place looked like a shoot location for famous models and movie stars. It made me wonder how Jason had found it.

I glanced up at him. To ask him exactly that but I stopped when I saw the look of pure content on his face. He wasn't smiling or anything but his face looked so relaxed like this was his home. This large clear area in the middle of nowhere was where he truly belonged. His home away from home. He looked like nothing in the world could bring him down here. I actually hadn't seen him look this satisfied in a long time.

"You like it here?" I asked skipping over the many rocks that lay everywhere. The adventurer in me wanted to climb over the cliff that these rocks were leading me too.

"Yes." He answered without elaborating or feeling the need to.

"Because it's silent?" I asked skipping over some more rocks.

Jason sat down on one of the larger rocks then looked out at sea as if he could see something other than water. He looked at me with a tilted head then his lips twitched up for the briefest second. A yes in my book.

"Probably not with me yapping on and on huh," I said moving closer to him.

"It's fine." Its fine he said holding me steady as I tripped on one of the rocks. Then he continued with words that had more weight than they should have. "You are fine."

He then guided me so I could sit between his legs on the rock. The day was almost ending and the sun was not as hot as it had been in the afternoon. But the summer heat still lingered in the air mixed together with the cool breeze and salty water coming from the Sea it was pretty cool.

I rested my back against his chest so he could wrap his arms around me over my shoulders. I leaned further into him and felt him place his chin slightly on my head. After a long silent pause, his phone beeped. Instead of just checking it behind my back he took the phone out and Held it with his left hand in front of me. It was a bunch of incoming texts from someone named Dae.

I let out a laugh at the ridiculousness of the message

I let out a laugh at the ridiculousness of the message. I looked up at Jason's face and he was smiling at me with a mischievous glint in his eye.

"So I can't even get a kiss?" I asked him with an arched brow.

He looked down at my lips then my eyes then back again at my lips. After licking his lips. He dipped down and placed his lips against my forehead. It wasn't the kiss I expected but I was not complaining. Maybe a little bit.

I sat back in my original position back pressed against his chest and head tilted to the left. Letting my forehead rest against the base of his throat. He let his arms tighten in a semi-hug around me before asking me.

"Do you ever think about kids?"

"Yeah, sometimes do you?" I asked confused at how his train of thoughts had landed him here.

"No, not really." He replied sounding like he was lying. I was going to call him on it to when he continued, "Maybe that I would name my daughter Ocean." 

I wanted to laugh and ask what type of weird-ass name was that but the way his arms tightened around my shoulders made me think twice about my reactions. He seemed to really like it.

"Why?" I asked instead.

"Because she is beautiful, strong calm and serene. And the ocean is so underrated people don't see her power until they are drowning. They don't feel her magic until they are in a boat or ship on her. And if ever she is angry people feel her untamable wrath through floods and waves." He said silently in almost a whisper.

"Wow. You must think about this a lot." I said realising that he definitely did if he was waxing poetically about the ocean sober like that.

He didn't answer. But I didn't need him too.

"I like the ocean too," I said whispering. Before folding my leg so I could lean into him with my left side. I placed my forehead against his throat and let him hug me in his comforting embrace.

"Yeah... it's cool." He said before hugging me even closer as if savouring this moment.

The sky was now an ombre shade of dark and light navy blue with the last hint of orange as the sunset. An indicator of impending darkness. And yet I didn't care. I felt safe and like I finally belonged that nothing in the world could destroy me now. And suddenly the secluded still waters of this hidden beach had become my favourite place in the whole world.

"Do you know what I would name my child?" I asked smiling against his skin.

He let out a grunt as a reply.

"Ancient Greek names of gods or goddess. Or those names you only read about in adventure books.  Like Geralt, Balthazar or Asmodeus. " I said smiling at myself.

"One of those is a villain?" He said humour lacing his voice. Before he squeezed me more just w little more than. Making me feel warm.

"Villains are just good people that never got the right type of love," I answered reciting a quote I had read somewhere in one of the many foster homes I lived in. 

"Fair point," Jason answered.

We sat in silence as the orange hue completely disappeared and the darkness embraced us in a new type of intimate warmth.