CHAPTER 17: A FAVOR

Jannah quietly followed Mamita who still hasn't looked back to acknowledge the girl behind her. She didn't need anyone to tell her that this is Suhad's mother because the two look alike so much. She will be lying if she said at a point in her life she was dying to hear Suhad talk about the woman once but he never did—she never figure out why. However now following the woman that's actually somehow scaring her to the core she had a pretty good idea why.

She had always wondered back then when Suhad ad she were a thing why he had never spoke of his mother but rather all he talked about was Didi and Jakadiya. At a point, she thought Didi was his real mother because it was always 'Didi this...' 'Didi that...'

Though her chains of thoughts were somewhere she was well aware of where Mamita is heading, she didn't want to make the wrong first impression. That was something she couldn't afford.

Once she maintained a reasonable distance away from the room Mamita stopped and then turned to look at Jannah whom managed to keep her expression void of emotions though deep down she was nervous.

Mamita maintained eye contact with Jannah for a few seconds and Jannah didn't look down though for that she knew she might be labeled as 'disrespectful' but at that stage for she and Suhad does it really matter? No, the question should've been more of Is there even a she and him? Was there ever was a 'them?'

"Do you know the cause of his accident?" Was the first thing Mamita asked keeping her voice stern and strong.

"No" Jannah replied, her voice not wavering.

Mamita nodded her head slightly, "Neither do I" she said, "But you know what? I think I have an idea"

Jannah knew that whatever the woman will say next might not be in her favor because she could sense the venom in the woman's words as she spitted it out and the way her eyes narrow every now and then as she spoke to Jannah confirmed that. Nevertheless, she didn't say a thing.

"You know what? Recently, my son has been acting somehow ever since the wedding for he and Bilkisu had been set..." Jannah gulped. She knew that he and the woman had something but she didn't think it went to the extent of them having a wedding day set. So he was getting married after all soon?

Pathetic.

"—He was more quiet and kept things mostly to himself" Mamita shrugged carelessly, "I know my son so I thought he was just being that way over something he'll get over soon but it wasn't. At least, that was what I thought until I saw this..."

Jannah moved her gaze from the woman's face to the phone she held in her hand with the screen cracked. Still with that, Jannah could make out the picture on the Iphone. Her eyes that were stone cold seconds earlier dilated slightly as her lips parted slightly.

"Your picture just happened to be his wallpaper. And surely for him to set your picture as something he can see all the time then he must surely care for you" Mamita's voice became lower as she spoke. It might've became like that because of anger or not but Jannah couldn't really give two damns about it.

She couldn't believe he actually did that. Does that mean he really does love her? But if he did then why is he marrying another woman and why is he always hurting her? Wait...this can't actually be real can it?

Ya ilahi!

This is all too much to take. She was caught amidst of believing him or not. But heck this is proof enough for her to trust him. However, on the other hand, his marriage with Bilkisu says otherwise.

But maybe...maybe he was telling her the truth and—

"Don't get your hopes high" Mamita's voice snapped her out of her thoughts.