seventy four - KOTLC

Sophie POV:

"Alright, yes, I'll be there. Just give me ten minutes—" Sophie said. 

"Where do you think you're going?" Sandor frowned as he entered her room. 

"What is that?" Violet hissed to Wren in the background. 

"You were just rescued from the Neverseen over a bargain that was never carried out, then you ended up losing your memory over it. Now you think you can just run over to that dragon planet to help humans?" Sandor asked.

Sophie held his stare. "I know I made a mistake. But everyone does. And besides, it's not like I broke a leg escaping or was tortured into giving information," she retorted. "I'm fine, and teleporting doesn't do anything to me anyway. If it makes you feel better, you can come,"

"Still, you need to check in with your parents—"

"No," Grady said from the doorway. 

"What?" Sophie whined. 

"It's just too dangerous. You've been in enough trouble in the past month. We just got you back, and we're not losing you again," Grady's face softened. "I know you want to help, Sophie, but sometimes you can't fix everything. This doesn't even have anything to do with the Neverseen," 

"How do you know that?" Sophie asked. "Leaf won't wake up, and do you know why? No. They tried everything. That Invincible Lord—"

"Invincible," Sandor snorted.

"—he could have cast a spell or whatever with those new 'animus powers' but really, I already asked Livvy and she told me it wasn't magic. And what makes people sleep indefinitely, that was created by some organization called the Neverseen?" 

Everyone in the room blanched. 

"Yeah, why was there an eye on Leaf's hand?" Wren demanded. 

". . . It's not a good sign," hedged Grady. 

"Maybe she should go," Edaline said softly, crossing the room until she had Sophie in her arms. "Be safe, okay? And bring all your bodyguards."

"Thanks, Mom," Sophie hugged Edaline back, and Grady joined in too. 

"So I brought an antidote . . . but I'm not sure if it would be the right one," Sophie held up the small vial, and the humans crowded around to get a better look of the stuff. 

"Why wouldn't it be the right antidote?" Daffodil asked. 

"They made a lot of variations of the soporidine. This one was the one we used to cure Alvar."

"Who's that?" 

"Evil person. Forget him. But he's an elf, so I hope this works, too," Sophie crept over to the edge of Leaf's bed, where he slept stone-faced. She slathered the blue antidote on his palm, covering the Neverseen symbol. Everyone in the room seemed to hold their breath . . . 

. . . nothing happened. 

At least, not at first. The humans let out their breaths after thirty seconds, but Sophie held hers for a good fifteen minutes until Leaf began to stir. His eyes fluttered, and Wren rushed over, but Sophie stopped her. Leaf wasn't awake yet. 

"Why is he still sleeping?" Violet whispered.

Sophie frowned. "It should have worked. I'll call Livvy,"