four - KOTLC

Fitz POV:

It was a normal day.

Fitz had just come back in the house from his morning run, and was heading up to his room to shower.

He was walking along when this happened: 

"MOM! DAD! FITZ! AHHHHHHHH!" came a shriek from Biana's room.

Fitz reached her first.

"Oh, Fitz," she sobbed. "I ruined my makeup!"

"Uh . . . okay?"

"Don't 'okay' me!" she grabbed his shoulders. "I ruined it because some big shadow thingy covered the entire house!"

"What? Like a shadow that Shades use? Or like shadowflux?"

"No, no. A shadow. What's so hard to understand about a shadow? It's a—"

"Okay, okay! Just tell me what type of shadow!"

"Shadow?" Alden asked, concerned. "Biana, why did you scream?"

"I ruined my makeup!" Biana wailed.

"Argh," Fitz grumbled.

"What shadow?" Alden asked again.

"Yeah, WHAT SHADOW?" Fitz practically yelled.

"I don't know!" Biana said.

Della arrived, looking at the three of them.

Her eyes settled on Biana's face.

"Oh dear, that is a lot of ruined mascara." Della said. She brightened. "Don't worry, I'll buy you some more!"

"Mom, don't. Biana says there was a shadow that covered the entire house!" Fitz said, grabbing his mom's arm before she could leap to Atlantis and buy a humongous overload of makeup products.

It was a typical mom thing.

"Yes! And my makeup was ruined !" Biana cried.

"FORGET THE MAKEUP WHAT SHADOW BIANA." Fitz asked.

"Uh... a shadow. Like, when you walk in the sun and there's a shadow behind you." she said. "Or sometimes it's in front of you, or on the right, or-"

"Ahhh . . ." Alden said thoughtfully. "A shadow . . ."

"It's not a Neverseen attack, Fitz," Biana grabbed his arm before he could leap away. He frowned at his sister. "How do you know?" he asked.

"Because look at that! Do you think any Shade is powerful enough to cover our entire property? Do you know how big it is? Even if Umber were still alive, I doubt she could manage it. And honestly, no offense, I don't think Tam could manage this, either. What's teh point of covering our house with darkness?"

"Prevent visibility? Make it really dark so they can ambush us? Not let us lightleap away becasue there's no light?" Fitz suggested in a Are you serious tone.

"Yeah, well, look at that shadow."

Fitz looked at the shadow. "What about the shadow?"

"Exactly!" his sister cried. "There's nothing to see!"

He scowled at her. "So. Still upset about your makeup?" he finally asked.

She gave him a wan smile. "Yeah. Of course. But you know what?"

He suddenly did not like her mischievous grin. "No-ooo . . ."

"We have somewhere to go!" She grabbed him and before he could protest, leaped away.