fifty five - Wings of Fire

Willow POV:

"Yes!" The group chorused.

Willow hid in the rubble of some of those Elite Tower things. She had wanted to hide in the grass, but it was purple. Not ideal for a green dragon. Also, it was really short. Why was the grass so short?

Today the Alwaysseen were scheduled to come. When, nobody knew. But everyone decided Willow should hide since dawn. In a stuffy hollow of rubble.

Thanks a lot, elves.

Well, at least they hadn't made her wait in vain. They had left a small hole in the rubble they piled in what hopefully looked like it normally should have been when they crumbled. Willow peered into the hole now, looking at the forty or so elves gathered around Fitz, Biana, Tam, Linh and Wylie. They had just formulated a plan to take down the Neverseen. Ah, right. That's what it was called. Neverseen.

Willow only had two jobs in the whole plan. Biana and Linh had come by yesterday and explained to her what she had to do. Of course, Willow wasn't nearly as violent as Sundew, but she still wanted to fight! She was, therefore, rather sad (and even devastated) that she was to hide the whole time (because hopefully the Neverseen forgot about her (how rude)) and only be the backup plan when this person called a "Voiciferator" let out a shrill whistle. Then she was allowed to start flinging the Neverseen around.

This morning was probably the most annoying one Willow had ever needed to endure. And she was usually an optimistic dragon. The Neverseen were going to arrive at any moment, and the group of elves still needed sorting. Hopefully they would need backup soon. For once, Willow was excited about a fight.

"Prodigies!" a voice suddenly boomed. It was, unfortunately, not the signal she was waiting for. 

forty-two heads snapped up. No one was there. Not on the ground, on the ruined school, even floating in the sky like some elves occasionally did. Unless, of course, they were out of Willow's line of sight. She was beginning to resent the tiny hole more and more with each passing second. 

"Please gather in front of the glass pyramid!" the same voice bellowed. No one budged.

"Or else!" said the voice.

"Or else what?" Tam snorted.

All the shattered glass suddenly began floating, and from what Willow could see, flew at Tam. Luckily, his own telekinesis stopped it in time. 

"I went easy on you," scoffed the voice. "But next time . . ." It seemed like the person waggled their finger warningly, even if no one could see them.

"Come on out! We're ready for you!" Biana shouted at the air. 

The voice laughed. "Oh, no, you'll never be ready. But I suppose it is time to reveal myself," With those words, three hooded figures with the symbol of the eye on their sleeves appeared behind Biana, Fitz, Tam, Linh and Wylie. With a sweeping gesture that was meant to shoo flies away, the five were thrown off their stone with telekinesis (which they had been standing on the instruct the others on the plan). 

"Much better," said Lady Gisela as the pulled off her hood, the apparent source of the voice. It was less booming now that she was there in person, but commanding nevertheless. "I'm sure you remember a week ago, when we decided to take Foxfire as a—"

"More like attack Foxfire!" a Level Five (Willow guessed) yelled.

Lady Gisela tsked. "No interruptions. It will only go worse for all of you. Now, where was I?" she glared at the Level Five. "Yes, that's right. A week ago. A week ago, we came to Foxfire to recruit some of the prodigies. The right prodigies. You were all chosen for a reason. Even you two Vacker children, even if you arrived late. Sophie as well, I suppose. Though now we've gotten off topic. I know that we definitely don't need so many new recruits, and forty-two is definitely too many," Willow was surprised she knew how many prodigies were standing before her.