twenty three - Wings of Fire

Kinkajou POV:

Flying . . . why must it always be SO EXHAUSTING?

Kinkajou was getting tired of the flap-flap-flap her wings were making for the past five hours. They had to fly all the way without breaks if they wanted to get to Pyrrhia by the end of the day. So far, according to the map, they were maybe a few hours away. Or was it a few minutes? Kinkajou had forgotten about everything except the tiredness in her wings.

Even so, she could—

"IT'S PYRRHIA!" she shrieked.

"Goodness, are you excited to see it." Qibli said, startled.

"I've been waiting for weeks to eat a banana," Kinkajou said crossly.

"I bet you have." he replied with a grin.

But although Kinkajou was in a cheery mood, seeing Pyrrhia and returning to the rainforest and EATING BANANAS, she noticed something was off. "Um . . . guys? Did you notice that the ocean is see-through?" she asked.

Moon looked down and gasped. "I can see all the little scavengers!"

"Hey, wait a minute," Qibli said, squinting at a patch of ocean like all others. "Are those—are those . . . scavengers?"

It was. Three little scavengers, clinging to each other, floating in the ocean, rising higher and higher, not too far in front of them.

They were oblivious to the dragons above them.

"Anyone else notice how they're . . . in the ocean? And surviving? And all the other unrealistic things these three are doing?" Qibli said aloud. He looked at the scavengers incredulously. "Don't tell me they're those magic scavengers again! They can breathe under water?"

"Did anyone notice they're breaking their promise!" Kinkajou said, convinced it was even MORE important than breathing-under-water scavengers. But that was really weird too!

"YES, I did." Winter barked.

"Um hum," Qibli said absentmindedly.

Kinkajou thought this was funny—the only creatures she knew that were able to breathe underwater were SeaWings. These were evidently not SeaWings.

And besides, the fur at the top of their heads didn't swish around them gracefully, like her sloth, Glimmer, did when she gave him a shower.

But what if they weren't in the ocean? What if . . . what if—

"What if they aren't in the ocean?" Kinkajou burst out.

"What?" Winter scoffed. "They must be."

And yet he shot the scavengers another thoughtful look.

"You're right!" Moon said, her eyes wide. "What if the collision made our ocean curve like a bowl? And the scavengers' world's sky dent? They would be in their sky, under our ocean!"

"You're right, guys." Qibli said slowly. "That totally makes sense!"

All eyes turned to Winter.

"Alright, alright. You guys are right." he admitted.

"Ha HA! We're better that you, pineapple-snout!" Kinkajou said.

Just then, they heard a sploosh. Splish. SPLASH.

And out came the scavengers, dry as ever, and one, somehow, shot fire out of his hands, right at them.