twenty eight

[ 15 October, 2018, 8:54PM ]

jaehyun panicked. he didnt know what to do. yes, he did forget the dinner- and her birthday. but it wasnt like it was intentional. he spent all night trying to fit every formula, every chemical equation, every theory into his head just so he could spend the entire day with aeri. he didnt think he would knock out at 2am and then sleep for the entire day.

jaehyun sat up right, his hands rummaging through his hair, he gritted his teeth and groaned in frustration. he fucked up. "what the fuck was that jae? you couldnt even say something?" he groaned, then throwing his pillow onto the study table, which honestly caused a mess.

his apartment door suddenly shot open, which revealed a very happy jungwoo standing at the door. his eyes fixated on his phone, he didnt even notice jaehyun was mad, "hey! just sent aeri a birthday text. i was out the entire day studying at the library and then my phone died so i couldnt send her an awesome selfie of me. also, i bought you a-" his eyes shot up.

he saw the apartment was a mess and then he stopped talking. he slowly closed the door behind him and put the coffee on the kitchen counter and made his way to grab a chair to sit right infront of jaehyun who was sitting at the edge of his bed, his hands covering his face.

"um, are you okay? i know you're anxious with finals here but you shouldnt overwork yourself jae. it's just finals," jungwoo tried to lighten the mood and trying to encourage jaehyun, who seemed very stressed out right now. jaehyun finally looked up at jungwoo and they made eye contact. the atmosphere in the room was tense.

"i fucked up, woo. and i fucked up badly this time," jaehyun frustratedly exclaimed, standing up and walked around his apartment in circles. "let me guess, you forgot to turn off the stove?" jungwoo tried to guess. but jaehyun aggressively shook his head. "i forgot today was aeri's fucking birthday!"

jungwoo gasped. he was genuinely in shock. "and- and! and we made plans and guess where she is right now? at dinner! waiting for me!" jaehyun added. "and you're here... which means you-" jaehyun interrupted jungwoo, "-yes woo! i stood her up! fuck!" he raised his voice, kicking his chair in frustration because he was genuinely mad at himself.

"dude, how could you forget?" jungwoo asked. "do you know how much of a dick you look like to her now? you stood her up on your birthday, and now on hers?" he just made the situation worse. "should i go see her and apologize right now?" jaehyun asked, scratching his head.

"well uh, yeah! what the fuck kind of question is that? she might be on the way home right now so go wait for her outside her house!" jungwoo hurried him. jaehyun grabbed his keys and burst straight through the door but jungwoo yelled, "dude! take a fucking shower first, god!" from inside the room. jaehyun sheepishly smiled before coming back into his apartment, and taking a quick shower.

-
[ 10:21PM ]

jaehyun sat on the front porch of aeri's house. he has been waiting for almost an hour and a half now. and still no sign of the girl. he texted aeri all night and got no reply. he tried calling her but his calls always went to voicemail. jaehyun felt so bad and he wanted to make it up to her.

at 10:23pm, the door opened. he thought it would be aeri, maybe she was stuck at home after dinner. but it was aeri's mother. both of them jumped when they saw each other. her mother didnt expect company, especially at this timing. jaehyun just adjusted his stance and bowed to her mother, apologizing.

"jaehyun, right? jung jaehyun?" aeri's mother spoke, trying to double confirm if it was the right boy she had in her mind. jaehyun smiled and nodded. "yes! um- mrs kang, is aeri home by any chance?" he asked her, nervously. her mother shook her head, a frown came upon her face. "why? she told me she would be out with you tonight," she said.