54

Groom

We started being enemies, it all started with an ear-splitting and deafening slap. My cheek turned red. It was awfully awkward seeing how she slapped me hard in front of my numerous fans. It was maddening.

She became my tutor, then classmates. It was a long journey before we became friends. She completes me all the strengths and weaknesses I don’t have. She does... she is just the one I love.

In the morning when I got up on my bed I’m always tired and sleepy to the point that I can almost fall asleep anywhere then suddenly I see her , and it’s like some hit me in the face, I woke up immediately and I’m happy.

Her beauty took my breath away and her dashing smile stole my heart. I am her prince charming and she is my damsel in distress. She gave me so much trouble. She is a pain in my ass.

But not all stories end up being happy. I let her go but after a long wait, we found each other again. That time, I swore to God that I will make efforts to win your heart again. Since that, I fall more

and more in love with her.

For now though, my nerves are holding up. My palms were sweating. My knees weren't so strong like before. My heartbeat was going erratic.

"Kalma dude.. kanina pa ako nahihilo sa paglakad mo." said Carl and I shoot him daggers. Binisita n'ya ako sa kwarto ko at pinabayaan ko naman s'ya. Damn, I regret that I agree to let him in om suite, "Ganyan ba talaga kapag ikakasal? Uy, kabado ang groom." he teased.

Umupo ako sa isang couch but I sat up straight, I wasn't going to ruin my attire today. Wrinkles and creases in my tight suit are forbidden.

"Tumahimik ka nga, tara, samahan mo ko. Puntahan natin 'yung prinsesa ko." I said and his grin grew bigger.

"Shit! Ang korny!" he screamed. Kung may abnormal sa barkada, I won't hesitate to point out Carl. "Bawal puntahan ang bride. Kalma ka lang.." he said.

He went near me and put his hands on my shoulder, then slowly massages my shoulder. "Sabihin mo sa akin kung may crush ka sa akin Carl hanggang single pa ako." I said and his hands stopped moving.

"Ang baboy mo naman!" he yelled and I doubled in laugher. Tumayo ako sa pagkakaupo ko and somehow, Carl lightened my mood.

Napatingin ako sa wrist watch ko, it's already 9:00 o'clock in the morning. I went towards the full length mirror and I saw my reflection. I was damn ready.

I wanted to look best and feel good about my body not that I will look good with rock-hard muscles but I totally workout for it, approaching the wedding. I also had a slim fit suit which only exacerbated matters. Hindi n'ya alam kung gaano ako nagpagwapo sa kasal namin, we guys also have body image issues too.

Naunang umalis si Carl. Mas mabuting mauna na s'ya sa simbahan because I wanted to hear my freak's voice first. I got my phone inside my pants pocket and dialled her number. Within three rings, I smiled. Hearing her voice makes me complete and happy.

"Hi!" she said. I smiled like a jerk, boses n'ya pa lang ay napapangiti n'ya na ako. Her voice wasn't so loud, it was damn calm afterall. "Bakit ka napatawag?" she asked and I can't help but to grin.

"I miss you." I said. Palagi na lang akong nakangiti, nakakabobo.

"I miss you too." she replied and I beamed. "What are you doing?" she asked.

"On my way to the church." I replied, "Nakakaabala na ata ako sa'yo. I'll wait for you na lang. I love you." I said.

"I love you too." she said and she ended the call.  Habang papalapit kami sa simbahan ay mas lumalakas ang kabog sa dibdib ko.

I stepped out of the car. Masyadong maraming tao ang nakapalibot sa labas ng simbahan. All of them were congratulating me. Mabuti na lang ay may mga nakaalalay sa akin habang papasok sa simbahan. Siguro, nasanay na rin ako sa buhay na kaharap ang mga lente ng kamera.

When I entered the church para bang ako ang north pole ng isang magnet at ang mga tao sa loob ng simbahan ay ang south pole. Lahat sila ay napunta sa akin.

"Congrats, Pare!" nakita ko kaagad ang mga kaibigan ko. Nilapitan nila ako at isa isang yumakap.

"Babading n'yo." natatawa kong sabi. Nagtawanan naman ang mga taong nakarinig sa amin.

"Mom.. Dad.." I said lumapit ako sa kanila at yumakap. They hugged me back and my mom's eyes were teary.

"We're so happy for you, son." said Dad. Buti na lang pala talaga ay nasabi na nila sa akin kahapon ang mga gusto nilang ipayo at sabihin. Ayaw ko rin naman magdrama sa mismong araw ng kasal ko.

Nagpaalam ako sa kanilang dalawa, kay Ate at kay Stefan na hindi maipinta ang mukha. He ie annoying, hindi n'ya ba maintindihan na kami ang para sa isa't isa? Masyadong assuming 'yung unano na 'to. Bago pa ako mainis at mabadtrip ay umalis na ako sa lugar nila.

"Sure ka na ba talaga, Andrew?" Quencess said. Natawa naman ako bigla dahil alam kong nagbibiro s'ya, "Best wishes!" she said and she enveloped me on her arms, "Last na yakap na 'to. Bilisan natin bago ako masabunutan ng Trish na 'yon." she kidded.

It was already 9:45 am and our wedding will be at 10:00 o'clock in the morning. Thinking of her and the wonderful ways that add so much to my living. I know love should be an intimate feeling between two people but somehow, I can't help but wanting to share it with the world. My love for her cannot be hidden. Even when I am surrounded by a crowd of people. I am in love with her... intimately, personally to be sure. But the world is starting to notice and I don't mind at all.

Time passes by and we are all waiting for the bridal's car to arrive. I started to felt jitters. I was on the front, waiting for her.

Visualizing her walking down the aisle. I smiled. Seeing her on her wedding gown. She's stunning. I blushed. Her eyes met mine. I laid my eyes on her. We both smiled. Her cheek rendered to red.

The portal of the church was closed. The hands of the clock was set on 90 degrees. Then, became 180 degrees. Most of the guests were alarmed but I keep calm. She is my euphoria. The hands of the clock made its complete revolution. Not only once but thrice.

It was already one o'clock in the afternoon. The crowd of people was looking at me sympathetically. I remained standing on the aisle—waiting for her to open the door.

I don't know how many times I've called her. Her phone was off. It was maddening. I don't know what to reply to the people who were asking, where is she? My mind was pre-occupied with happy thoughts. I was being optimistic, even just for now. I sighed. 

I remained standing. I placed my hand on the pew, supporting my uneven emotions. I sighed and I closed my eyes. My phone vibrates. It ignited my extreme emotions. I thought she will say, sorry I am just late. But I was wrong, her message makes me heartsick.

I am cheerless and dejected.  I looked so pathetic. I wasn't dreaming. She dumped me on our wedding day and she said, I'm sorry.