she loses the ring

You leaned your head on her shoulder as you strolled through the park hand in hand.

It's a beautiful day outside. Despite the chilly air and the leaves that crunched under your feet with every step you took.

But you were enjoying it. You enjoyed the quiet atmosphere and the privacy the trail provided. There's hardly ever anyone else around you on the trail and it gave you the opportunity to steal some passionate kisses in the beautiful scenery.

"Are you having fun?" Ashley asked as she gazed over at you. She couldn't help but wonder, as her eyes locked with yours if you noticed the slight tremble of her hands or the fast beat of her heart.

"Yes! It's so beautiful out here! Plus I'm here with you. I'm having so much fun."

She chuckled over your excitement. It was heartwarming, really. Your smile stirred the butterflies in her stomach, causing them to flutter again.

She stopped walking when she noticed that you were in the perfect spot for this beautiful moment.

There was a river rushing nearby and there were leaves under your feet and the continued to fall making it seem all the more beautiful.

"Ash? You alright?" You asked when she pulled  her hand away from yours and you saw that it was shaking.

"Yeah. I'm alright. There's just something I've been dying to ask you." She flashed you a small smile but you could still sense that she was nervous.

"I love you!" She smiled. "Love you lots. I can't imagine life without you. There's something I've been wanting to ask you but I've been waiting for the perfect moment, and I think that's now."

She got down on one knee in front of you and pulled the ring from her pocket.

Only... it wasn't there.

"Ash... are you serious?"

While it all started to click for you, she was beginning to panic. She felt inside her pocket for the ring three, four, five times. But she continued to come up empty-handed.

"Oh no..." she muttered under her breath.

"Ash... what is it?"

"The ring! I can't find it!" She started to feel around for it on the ground beneath her feet but it was nowhere.

"I ruined it." She mumbled as she began to kick herself for losing the ring.

You got down on the ground in front of her and placed your hand over hers. Without a second thought, you just said...

"Yes."

"Yes?"

"Yes. Yes I'll marry you."

She chuckled in disbelief. "But the ring-"

"Doesn't even matter. Baby, I love you. I don't need a ring. I'd marry you if you gave me one made from paper it those machines in the stores."

She chuckled tearfully.

"I love you. I wanna marry you."

"I wanna marry you too!" She grinned and threw her arms around you. "I will find it though. I promise."

You shook your head with a laugh. You weren't even bothered. You just wanted to marry her; with or without a ring.