Chapter 3

Chapter 3- Run in

The rest of the day went by pretty slow, though the already huge pile of homework was growing fast.

I walk out of my 6th period class, ready to collapse onto the floor with exhaustion. I scurry over to my locker, grab my two textbooks, and get the hell out of there before the mob attacks.

I'm jamming my ear buds into my ears with my hood on when I burst out of the front doors, and head over to the tree.

Sammy and I sometimes meet by this gigantic maple tree on the corner of campus to walk home together. Sam would usually hang out at my house for a while before heading back to his own home.

So today I wasn't sure if we were walking home or not, so I decided to wait there until I see Sam in the crowd. I sit down on the grass and lean back against the tree, closing my eyes and promising to just rest my eyes for a little…

"So I'm guessing you were going to ditch me over there at the bleachers?" came a voice that I knew all too well.

Opening my eyes, I immediately don't like what I see. Elliot's standing there in the sun, looking down on me with his impossibly dark shades on and his backpack slung over his right shoulder. Though I hated to admit it, Elliot was really rocking this whole bad boy look. Complete with the black leather jacket, ripped jeans, and combat boots.

Okay, I need to stop thinking things like that, especially if it's about Elliot.

Shaking my head as if to clear it, I get up from my little leisurely snooze and completely ignore his comment and start walking towards the school entrance where I can make out Sammy heading this way with a couple friends.

"It's okay, I accept your apology." Elliot calls after me. I can hear him following me, and I've never really been known to keep my emotions, mostly the stronger ones, in check.

I whirl around and say right into his face, "What the hell do you want, Elliot? I'm not here to be some kind of funny toy thing to you, so just spit it out."

"Your too kind, you know that?" he replies coolly, looking me in the eyes. I'd bet my whole allowance, which is not very much, that he was daring me to instigate a fight here.

So, boldly looking him in the eyes, I say simply, "Have a nice life Elliot," and walk away.

This time, he doesn't come after me.

By this time, Sam has made his way over to me and is looking at me really weird and when he gets really close, he drops his eyes. Very unlike the Sammy I know, he mumbles that he's leaving with his friends to Tommy's Burgers and that he'll see me later. No invitation to come with, no nothing. Though I wouldn't have gone anyway, I really prefer not to watch them watch girls with their big eyes. But still, Sam always makes sure I'm invited and safe. He saunters off with his buddies, and right when he's about to jump into Nico's jeep, he looks back at me with the saddest expression I've ever seen. He almost looks….betrayed.

This really must not be my day.

Sighing, I make a mental note to take it up with Sam later and make sure he's okay before turning and starting the journey back home.

The whole way back, I'm lost in my own thoughts about where I'm going to stake out tonight, and the stupid homework that I have to do when I get back. So by the time I get home, I don't even notice the lack of Aunt Lisa's car until I open the door to a quiet kitchen.

"Aunt Lisa?" I call, but I know I wont get a reply anyways. So I turn on the light and head up to my room. Running up the stairs, I think about how I haven't worked out in such a long time, and how attacking that man had tired me out.

Wanting to prove to myself that I can get back into my routine, I quickly change into my sport shorts and a old t-shirt before heading back out for a quick jog.

Steadying my breathing and steps, I start out with a slow pace and make my way down the trail, zoning out and letting the music take over my senses. After about a forty minute run, I head back up the trail, readying my legs for the upward climb.

So right when I reach the top and let out a small victory cry, which basically was a panting "YES!", I bend down and tie my shoe, allowing myself a small rest. Getting back up, I start out again, and I'm too busy focusing on changing the song on my iPod, that I run right smack into someone and we both let out a grunt before hitting the ground hard.

"Shit…" I mutter, pressing my hand to my head where I can feel some blood oozing down from a cut. Damn, did this cut hurt!

"Oh crap! Are you okay?! I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to-"

Who ever crashed into me had gotten up and made their way over to me, but stopped talking immediately when they saw me. Looking up, I find myself looking into the eyes of the one freaking person I was trying my hardest to ignore.

Elliot.

Groaning, I roll onto my back and cover my face with the back of my arm, concealing the horror spreading all over my face as I take in the situation.

Elliot just ran into me. We're sitting in the middle of the dense forest where hardly anyone walks this trail now. And now I can feel his eyes on me, staying silent while he examines me closer.

Suddenly I hear the crunching of leaves beneath his feet as he moves closer, then finally kneels down right beside me.

Lightly putting his hand on my forearm, he whispers, "Hey, are you okay?"

Pushing his arm off, I roll over and sit up, purposely putting my back to him as I try to recover myself before facing him. Looking over myself for a quick examination, I realize none of the cuts on my arms and legs are too bad, but I have a horrible gash on my head. Probably from a stick or something that my horrible luck had made me land on. That one would be a real bitch. Though luckily, my scrapes would heal in a minute or two, except of course for the larger one. That'll probably take a bit longer.

Either way, I'd have to get out of here before Elliot realizes that I'm healing way too fast for a normal human being. Taking another moment to rest before having to leave, I take a deep breath and cherish the natural smell of the forest. This is my home, my haven.

Voice thick with real worry now, Elliot asks, "Kayla? Can you hear me?"

"No. Go away." I groan.

Elliot just laughs.

Growing frustrated, I snap, "Why do you even care?"

"Oh believe me, I don't. I'm just trying to be nice." He says simply.

Mouth gaping, I get up and stomp over to where my iPod fell and jam the earphones back in my ear before starting back on the trail. I can feel the magic working, and I want to be far away from here by the time they close up. Though Elliot is making that impossible, because he's following me.

"What the hell is your problem, Elliot? Just leave me alone, alright?" I growl. I can feel my temperature rising, and that is so not good right now, I don't need him seeing my cuts heal and me turning into a panther won't help.

Sighing, I stop but don't turn around, for most of my cuts are starting to fade into small pink lines that will soon disappear completely.

"Look. I seriously don't need this right now. So I'm going to leave," I say, then when I turn and see him get this mischievous look in his eyes, I add, "alone, and you're going to go your own way. So bye."

I give this little half hearted wave and right when I'm about to turn back around, his eyes go big and he starts.

"Your…your cuts… wha-" He falters, looking surprised.

Shit! I squirm, realizing my stupid mistake. I accidentally turned around when I was speaking and he got see my already fading scars.

But the way he's looking at me…it's like he almost expected as much. Like he somehow knew this would happen.

Okay…. That's just a little to weird for my liking. I think, giving him a long and hard look before turning back and jogging the rest of the way home, replaying the way his face took on an almost thoughtful look when I'd left.