Chapter 37

A/N:

I won't pretend that I have an excuse for being absent for so long. All I can say is that I'm really REALLY sorry for going AWOL on you guys for 2 months, and I hope this chapter is the start of making it up to you guys. I feel terrible for dropping off the grid for so long a time, but I promise that I will continue this story until the very end! Once again, I'm so sorry for taking so long, but here's the next chapter. 

Since it's been so long, I thought I'd recap on what's happened so you guys don't have to go back and look, hopefully. Basically, Kayla drank Rogue blood and passed out, woke up in the Intstitute's infirmary and was handcuffed to the bed. They took her to the Council, where Dantae, the Rogue guy who helped her and got caught during the Rogue's attack, was also there. After a debate, they decided that they'd let Dantae live since he said he could help Kayla because he was like her. Kayla got a little upset during the Council meeting and she transformed, but she turned into a black wolf (dantae's animal) instead of a black panther, which shocked everyone, including her. Oh, Elliot hates Dantae a little more than necessary, and Jay, Kayla's friend, also volunteered to watch over Kayla, and the Council has made her and Dantae meet for practices every morning until lunch to work together on controlling her now dark energy and uncontrollable powers. 

Sorry for the delay!! If you feel like it, please comment and let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

~~~~

Chapter 37

“Rise and shine, sleeping beauty,” a soft voice uttered from beside me before harshly swiping the blankets from me, exposing me to the cold crisp morning air that was filtering in from my new room.

Or I should say, our new room.

I gasped and ended up rolling off the bed from the sudden exposure, and the evil person above me started laughing at me, frazzled and cold and lying on the floor.

“Damn it, Jay!” I yelled, scowling and throwing a pillow at him but missing terribly. “I think I should seriously reconsider this whole bodyguard thing!” 

He continued to laugh his musically perfect British laughter, which sounded rather annoying this early in the morning, before helping me up. His chivalry still came through, even now.

“My apologizes, Kayla,” he grinned, obviously trying to quell the laughter that was threatening to continue, “if I had known that you would fall off the bed, I may have reconsidered my attempts at waking up the bear.” 

I grunted as I climbed back onto the bed, sitting up and squinting up at an amused Jay. “Did you just call me a bear?” I asked.

“‘Course not,” Jay went to my new dresser and threw some clothes at me. “Now get dressed, we have a training session in ten minutes with the Rogue.”

I grabbed the clump of clothes he’d given me and started to walk towards the bathroom. 

“He’s not a Rogue, Jay.” 

***

“Again!”

In my defense, I really had been trying. I squeezed my eyes shut, focusing on calling up the energy inside me, but once again, it settled in my stomach and whiplashed through my body, and I cried out this time.

“I can’t!” I growled, angry. I was breathing hard, sweating, and just down right pissed off, though I couldn’t tell if I was more frustrated with Dantae or myself. 

“Maybe, if you would allow a break for Kayla, she might be able to gather her strength before attempting to shift again,” Jay reasoned, watching me warily.