Chapter 39

*No editting happened, so sorry in advance for any mistakes! Thanks, and happy reading! *

CHAPTER 39

The dress was beautiful.

The box had arrived first thing in the morning, presented to me with a red bow and a card that read, “For your mother. Call me.” 

I had laughed out loud at that, snapping a picture and sending it to Paul, who only responded with a texted smile face, virtually winking at me. 

It was now eight o’clock, the official time when the ball was suppose to begin, and I knew that people were starting to trickle in downstairs in the ballroom. The Councilmen from all around the world had convened together yesterday, flying in from their respected countries, bringing with them what seemed like armies of shifter guardians. After the attack that had happened, no one was taking any chances. Landar wouldn’t risk attacking tonight, not with what seemed like the entire shifter population here. 

I stared at myself in the mirror. The dark royal blue gown was soft and fluid, flowing down my body and accenting my curves nicely. It was a one strap, with a diamond band connecting the front to the back, where it showed off some of my back. My dark brown hair was curled and cascaded down my back, with a diamond clip that had come with the gown placed neatly in my hair. Looking at the dress in the mirror, I knew I would never have picked it on my own, but I was so grateful to Jay and Paul for picking this one. It made me feel... beautiful. Something I hadn’t felt in a long time, if ever.

“Are you ready...” Jay came out of the bathroom and stopped, smiling at me. “Wow, Kayla. You look magnificent. I think my guarding duties will entail plying off men from you tonight, also,” he joked, walking up to me. 

I blushed furiously, “Thanks, Jay. You look very handsome, if I do say so myself,” I teased, directing the attention off of me and back onto him. He really did look great. His hair was jelled back in a classic look, with his black suit and tie fitting nicely on him. He looked regal and like a true gentleman, and his British accent only tipped off his chivalric look. 

He walked up to me, still smiling. “Shall we, Ms. Harding?” he asked, offering me his arm. I smiled back, nodded, and took his arm.

This was going to be a night I would never forget, I could feel it.

***

“Here we are, are you ready?” Jay asked me, motioning to the doors that led into the ballroom. I nodded, feeling a little excited, even though I wasn’t much of a dancer. The idea of a ball felt like a fairytale to me, and I wanted to see a ballroom filled with bustling people and decorations with my own eyes. 

Jay nodded and led me through the doors, stopping so that we could both gape at our surroundings. The ballroom was massive, but the decorations made it seem like another world. The decorations were beautiful, creating a woodsy and natural scene. There were plants everywhere, making it look like we were in an outside paradise. There was a huge dance floor in the center of it all, filled with people elegantly spinning to the live orchestra in the corner who played an assortment of violins, cellos, and other beautiful instruments. There were doors that led out to balconies all along the sides of the ballroom, where large windows stretched all the way up to the ceiling. I had never seen such an amazing sight before, and I had to force myself to follow Jay’s lead by moving over to the side so people could file down. The main doors that we had just come through led to the top of the ballroom, where a large staircase led down to the dance floor and main level of the ball. I scanned the crowds, trying to find any familiar faces, and spotted Sam and Lila near the food table, Sam gobbling down some of the food. I could see he was also dressed in a black tux, and I smiled. My eyes flitted across to the dance floor, where I could see Annabelle and Santi moving fluidly across the floor, looking regal and natural as they moved effortlessly. I could Santi whisper something in Annabelle’s ear, getting a smile and a laugh out of her. I didn’t know the specifics of their relationship, but I knew they were incredibly close. Jay had told me a little about them- apparently Annabelle was like the Headmaster’s daughter here at the Institute, a man named Zachariah who I had briefly of during my stay here. He was busy away on business, but Jay explained that he worked closely with the Council, and handled the affairs here with the Institute. Annabelle and Santi were old, Jay wouldn’t say just how old, but their older style of speech hinted at their true age. I had been told that shape shifters aged slower than humans, but after talking with Jay, he had told me that as long as we kept shifting into our true forms, a shifter could theoretically live forever. The duty and energy inside us kept us ageless as long as we used it, keeping us alive so that we could protect the world-- our sworn oath. I had watched Santi and Annabelle a number of times, curious and intrigued with their relationship, and sometimes I would see this particular glimmer in Santi’s eyes as he watched her. At times, I would suspect something more than than just friendship, but who was I to know the dynamics of their relationship. I was just happy that there was someone there for Annabelle who could make her smile and laugh like he could. He seemed to be able to break through her walls and bring out the real Annabelle, someone who seemed nice and caring.