Chapter 7

Chapter 7: Absence

Waking up to the sound of my alarm, I groan and roll over onto my side. I yelp as I flip back onto my back, completely forgetting about my arm.

Looking at it bleary eyed, I test it by bending my arm back and forth and I wince as sends a jolt up my arm. Still a little bruised, but by tomorrow I should be able to shape shift again without hurting anything. My ribs are more or less okay now, and my leg isn't complaining every time I walk, which is a good sign.

Sighing, I sit up and idly glance around my room, not really looking for anything. But when my eyes land on my computer screen, they automatically narrow suspiciously.

Getting up and walking closer, I see what the little pop-up box says:

One IM message from SamtheMAN13. Would you like to Accept or Decline?

I stare at the screen, wondering what button I'll click. If I accept, that would mean that I forgive Sam and want to go on like everything's normal, and if I decline, I could ruin our whole friendship. But I wouldn't be that hurt in the process, and Sam will be safe.

I click Decline.

After taking a shower and getting ready, I silently make my way down the stairs, praying that Lisa won't hear me. I surprisingly make it into the living room and out the door before she even notices the click of the door.

Letting out my breath, I walk down the drive way and decide to walk to school today. I could probably drive, but I didn’t want to raise any suspicion.

When I reach the school, I spot Sammy leaning against the entrance wall, idly playing with his iPhone as he waits. As if sensing my presence, Sam looks up and sees me coming, and he freezes.

I am so not in the mood to talk to him right now though, so I look pointedly ahead as I pass him and ignore his plea.

"Kay, please!" he shouts after me. "Just give me a chance to explain!"

Squeezing my way through the crowd, I manage to lose him and can take a breather for now. But knowing Sammy, he's all but going to tie me up if that's what it takes to make me listen.

Quickly getting my things from my locker, I shut it close and round the corner without looking and get knocked down to my feet. I'd been so focused on avoiding Sam that I hadn't been paying attention to where I was going.

"Oof!"

We both went down and a spasm of pain went through my arm as it hit the floor first, making me let out a loud gasp as I roll onto my back, cradling my arm.

"Oh shit, Kay." A voice breathes. "Are you okay?"

I'd had both my eyes shut, but I squinted one eye open and groaned.

Of course it had to be Elliot.

"I'm fine." I bark, trying on my own to sit up before two gentle hands are on my shoulders, helping me up.

I look up, a bit surprised and dazed at this little show of support, and he just smiles back at me. Finally getting to my feet, I assess my arm for any damage and I'm content to find none. Or at least not anymore than already implicated.

Elliot hands me my books silently for once and we both kind of stand there awkwardly.

"Well, I have to get to class." I say at the same time Elliot goes, "Well, see you later."

Waving each other goodbye, I make a hasty exit to my class as Elliot heads the opposite way.

Well, that wasn't weird at all.