Chapter 16

Chapter 16

“Hello?” his voice rang out from the phone. Suddenly, I didn’t know why I called him. It was a stupid idea.

“Uh, hey.” I answered awkwardly. “Never mind, it’s not important, I’ll see you at the game tomorr-”

“Kayla, what’s wrong?” His voice demanded that I spill.

“It’s nothing.” I whispered back furiously, not wanting Lisa to wake up and catch me still up at this hour.

“I’m coming over.” He ignored my answer and hung up the phone.

I stared at my own cell phone in shock. I would have thought he would have blown me off or teased me for calling him so late.

Not ten minutes later, I heard the engine of a motorcycle rumbling down my street which stopped directly outside my house.

Before he could make anymore loud noises, I rushed down the stairway and threw open the door. His hand was frozen in midair and in a position as though he was about to knock on the door.

Elliot was standing there in his typical attire. He had on a grey shirt that clung to his body, showing off his muscles. His black motorcycle jacket was on top of his shirt, and looked good. His famous dark jeans were paired with his usual vans that looked a little bit dirtier today than normal.

“Hey.” Elliot breathed, looking at me. His eyes flickered over my body for a moment before he looked away. I could of sworn there was a slight hint of a blush on his cheeks as he cleared his throat. “Should I wait here until you change?”

“Wait, what are you-” I was confused as to what he was referring to but once I looked down at myself I immediately jumped behind the door and felt my own cheeks reddening.

“Oh jeez, I’m sorry. I forgot to change into something more..uh, descent, before coming down.” I babbled, embarrassed. I had on only a big shirt that was my father’s before the accident, and nothing else. I didn’t even have on a bra, which was completely mortifying.

An awkward moment passed between us before I broke it.

“Okay, now that this situation can’t get any worse, I’m just going to go put some actual clothes on. You can come in and just wait, I’ll be right back.” I started running for the stairs as he stepped inside, but turned around as I remembered something. “But if you break something or wake up my aunt I swear to God I’ll kill your ass.” I whispered back furiously before hurrying up the steps.

I could hear his light chuckle as I closed my door almost all the way, leaving a crack open. My door was the loudest door in history and made a horrible clicking noise every time I closed it. That sound would surely wake up Lisa and the rest of the neighborhood.

I quickly threw off my dad’s shirt and put on a bra before grabbing a striped off-the-shoulder shirt and some jeans with a belt. As I was putting on my shoes, I heard a creak from the hallway before Elliot’s voice whispered from behind the door. “Kayla?”

“Yeah, in here.” I whispered back, standing up as he slowly pushed my door open and we both cringed when it let out a loud creaking sound. We both went still and listened to Lisa’s breathing, which thankfully stayed even and low in the adjacent room.

Elliot walked inside my room and looked around, slowly taking in his surroundings. My walls were a dark navy blue color and had a natural feel to it. There were trees painted on the walls that Lisa had hired professionally for one of my birthdays years ago, and the ceiling was lit up with tiny stars. The floor had dark mahogany wood that looked like the natural soil in a forest, which I loved. My bed was in the middle, with a canopy over it. There was a love sofa in the corner with a light above it, which was where I did most of my reading and homework. There were bookshelves also along my walls and cubbies shelves that held different things. Finally, Elliot walked over to the window seat and sat down, glancing over my room once again before patting the seat next to him.