Chapter 28

*no editting, so I apologize again for any mistakes. Also, I sort of had writer's block writing this chapter, so I'm sorry if it sucks. Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy!**

I was going to kill them. All of them.

The Rogues had attacked the Institute, placing all of the innocent shifters who resided there in danger. My friends, families, everyone.

And I was not going to allow them to hurt anyone. Not this time.

Santi, Annabelle, and Elliot had all already shifted into their animal forms, and I could tell they were itching to join the fight. Paul, Sam, and I were busy gathering all our stuff and throwing it all into the biggest bag that we had taken with us. 

I could feel this burning anger grow inside me as I smelled the blood in the air from the innocent and could hear the screams of families under attack at the Institute. Never before had I felt such a feeling, a need, to help those who needed protection. I myself hardly recognized my voice, that was so filled with rage when I spoke that everyone stopped what they were doing for a second to stare back at me.

“You guys need to get there, now!” I yelled, motioning to the three animals before me. Santi, now a beautiful white Siberian tiger, nodded his large head and took off into the trees, Annabelle, a clouded leopard, trailing right after him.

Elliot, however, lingered, those emerald green eyes burning into me. I could tell that he was conflicted, wanting to go help them just as much as I yearned to, but not wanting to leave us behind. But right now wasn’t the time to worry about us. 

“Elliot, I mean it! We’ll be fine, Paul and I will be right behind you, now GO!” I shouted, pointing my finger towards the opening in the trees where Santi and Annabelle had disappeared through. He gave me one last lingering look before spinning around and taking off after them.

As soon as he was gone, I turned back to find our stuff stashed behind some rocks near the water, out of view.

“After this is over, I’ll come back for the stuff.” Paul explained, his eyes hard. The humor that was so often alive in his carmel eyes was gone, replaced by the strong warrior that showed itself in times of danger. Gone was the Paul that I was so used to, and in his place a killer. A fighter.

I nodded sharply, grateful for his quick thinking. Sam came up beside us as well, his now wary eyes watching the smoke rising in the air from the Institute’s battle.

I turned to Sam, a plan already forming as my body itched to tear out the throats of the Rogues. “Sam. Look at me.” I commanded, placing my hands on his shoulders as he dragged his eyes from the black smoke towards my face.

As soon as I saw he was focused on me, I looked him straight in the eyes as I spoke, the hardness in my voice leaving no room for argument. 

“Sam. I need you to run.” I began, and by Sam’s expression, he didn’t like what I was telling him. I forged ahead before he could interrupt me. “I need you to run as fast and as far as you can in the opposite direction of the Institute. Eventually you’ll hit the highway, and when you get there, you lay low and stay there until I come get you.” I finished, fixing him with a meaningful stare so he knew I was serious. 

“No.” Sam responded, his own face hard with determination. “If you think I’m going to leave you, then you’re crazy. I am not running away and leaving you to fight with those bastards.” He glared at me. “You’ll have to kill me first before I run.” 

I glared at him, knowing he was right and wouldn’t change his mind. I growled in frustration, knowing this was prolonging our time here more than necessary. We had to get to the Institute to help.