Chapter 30

**Again, this chapter is long, so please please comment and let me know what you thought after you finish. No editting happened, per usual, so I again apologize for any mistakes you might see. Hope you like it and hapy reading!**

CHAPTER 30:

“I think she’s coming to!” 

I could hear the sound of muffled voices as I slowly regained consciousness, feeling disoriented and strange. My left side felt numb and I couldn’t feel the right side of my cheek, not to mention the aching in my knee.

“Kayla?” A soft voice tentatively asked, and I felt something grab my hand.

I fought the heaviness of my eyelids and strained my eyes open, blinking a couple times from the harsh light.

“Wha...” I rasped, shocked at my surroundings. The room I was in, which I recognized as a part of the infirmary at the Institute, looked like it had gone through hell. The walls were blackened from what I assumed was the smoke from the explosions, and I could see stains of red that were mostly scrubbed away. I groggily looked around and notice the room was full of shifters alike, some conscious and others not moving.

I gulped.

“We were wondering when you were going to wake up.” Paul’s voice reached me, and I turned to see him leaning against the wall, a small smile on his lips, though I could see visible relief in his stance as he stared at me.

Before I could reply, another voice spoke up from my right. “How are you feeling?” I turned to see Elliot standing beside me, looking down at me, his hand wrapped around mine.

“I...” I stared at my surroundings, still confused. “I’m fine.” I looked past Elliot, my eyes sweeping over all the medical patients lying in the beds, and I frowned. “Why are there so many people here?” I looked back up at Elliot, then Paul. “Come to think of it, why am I here? What’s going on-” I tried sitting up and cried out, and immediately Paul and Elliot moved over to the bed, two sets of arms flying around me to make sure I was okay.

Elliot and Paul looked at each other, an awkward moment passing between them, before Paul backed away and cleared his throat.

“What the-” I hissed, uncovering the thin infirmary sheet issued to every patient and I gawked at the sight of my body. My left side was bandaged heavily, a blood stain seeping through the material of the bandage. “What is that?” I yelled, confused as hell.

“It’s a bandage, Kayla.” Sam’s amused voice piped up, and my head shot up at the sound of my best friend’s voice. Relief rushed through me, knowing that he was alive and, by the looks of it, completely uninjured. Sam walked up and stood next to Elliot, his eyes smiling kindly at me.

“Yeah, but why is it on me? And why is it bloody?” I cried, ripping at it to see what it hid underneath. Again, Elliot’s hands shot out and stopped my movements, and I growled in frustration, “What is going on!” 

The three of them shared a look with each other, and I growled again, letting them know they better shed some light on the situation before I explode.

“The thing is...” Sam started, reaching up to rub the back of his neck nervously, and I squinted my eyes at him. He only did that when he didn’t know what or how to say something.

“Sam...” I warned, staring at him suspiciously.

“The knife the Rogue cut you with, it’s magical.” Paul stated bluntly, and my head whipped around to where he stood, leaning on the wall once again with his arms crossed this time.

“Here we go...” Elliot mumbled, settling back into the chair behind him as he sighed.

“What do you mean magical?” I asked looking between the three of them, still suspicious, “Are you trying to tell me that unicorns and faeries are real too, because I don’t think you want to bullshit me right now.”