Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Important Note: I’ve decided to change a small aspect of my story. Shifters can be born, which is the most common, but sometimes, someone can survive the transformation of becoming a shifter-- these people are frozen in time at the age they are turned; immortal. In order to be turned, a council member must allow them to drink their blood or somehow transfer some blood into the person's system, which is full of the energy that enters the person’s body, claiming it. Only someone who is worthy of the energy can accept and survive the transformation, while others die. It’s really risky, which is why there aren’t many of them. 

Also, I know this chapter isn’t that exciting, but I wanted to really focus on the emotions of what happened with Tristan and now Kayla and how it affects Paul and the others. The next chapter will be a bit of a shock, so look out for that! 

With that, I hope you all enjoy this chapter! Please vote and comment!

 Happy reading:) 

*Paul’s P.O.V.*

*2 Hours Earlier*

I stood beside Tristan, watching Kayla and Elliot spin around the dance floor. Kayla looked magnificent in her gown, resembling a Greek goddess in her dress. I tried not to stare as Elliot’s hands slid around her waist, twirling around the girl of my dreams. It looked like they were murmuring to each other, and I felt something inside me I had never felt before, especially regarding a girl-- jealousy. Surprised and a little hurt, I watched for another moment, seeing Kayla glance in my direction, before muttering to Tristan that I’d be back and walking off. Elliot was a great man and if anyone deserved her, it was him. But I didn’t want to watch it happen, and so I excused myself.

I walked out into one of the balconies that led outside. The night air was chilly and I tucked my hands into the pockets of my slacks, watching a bird fly over silently. 

I had never felt anything like this before, and it was confusing. I had gone out with a lot of girls before, but none of those girls had ever made me feel the way Kayla does everyday, just by smiling. It scared me how much I cared for her, and it scared me even more that she was at the center of the entire war brewing over our heads with Landar. Even if she chooses Elliot at the end, I would risk my own life to keep her safe and away from Landar. She was the most beautiful and caring person I had ever met; someone who didn’t deserve the hard life that she had been dealt. I could only wish that she lives a long, happy life after all of this, with whoever can make her that happy. I’d always be there, as a friend or something more, watching over her from the sidelines if I had to. 

But deep down inside, it hurt-- no matter how much I hated to admit it-- that I couldn’t be the first man in her life, the one who would spend the rest of his years with her. The feelings I felt, the way she teased me, the way her nose would crinkle when I said something she didn’t like, it all made me like her that much more. 

It was almost as if, oh god, as if I was in-

“I did not expect to see you out here,” came a female voice, and I groaned as soon as she spoke. “Considering she’s inside.”

I didn’t have to turn around to know there was a teasing twinkle in her eyes.

I sighed and looked sideways at her as she walked up beside me, sending her an exasperated look. “Please, Anna, if you only came out here to torture me, nows really not a good time.”

She punched me in the arm, making me wince slightly. “Do not call me Anna, and no, that is not the only reason for my entrance, if you must know. Santi insisted I come check on you, considering the debacle that Elliot and Kayla were making on the dance floor,” she snorted.