Chapter 40

*A/N: Hey guys, so here's another update. It's shorter than usual, so sorry about that, but it's to the point for the most part and necessary. I hope you enjoy, and drop a comment if you have time :) *

CHAPTER 40

“Scream and you’re dead,” a cold voice spoke from behind me. 

The ropes had yanked Tristan and I down from the second floor balcony, slamming us down onto the ground and quickly pulling us out of sight. Now, as Tristan and I both started to struggle, our captors growled in warning and pulled at the ropes, yanking us to our feet. Suddenly, I felt the tip of a blade at my throat, and I immediately froze, as did Tristan beside me. 

“That’s right, try one more time and you won’t live to see the light of day,” the captor hissed, angry. There was a flash of medal in front of me, and I recognized what it was-- a knife. Not just any knife, either, but the special kind that Landar’s men had used-- the ones that slowed down the energy from healing us. 

I didn’t move.

Our captors took our stillness as compliance, and continued, “Good girl. Now, look around the corner, and you’ll see your little human friend. Sam, is it?” I froze at his words, and slowly peered around to catch a glimpse of Sam, standing inside talking with Lila and Santi. Behind him, however, was a suspicious looking man who was standing close to Sam from behind. Too close. I squinted my eyes, trying to understand.

“That’s right, right behind your human scum,” they all but spit the word at me, disdain evident in their voice, “is Henry-- say hi to our friends, Henry,” suddenly, the man-- Henry-- looked up and made eye contact with me from inside, grinning slightly. He casually opened his coat jacket, and I saw the unmistakeable flash of another knife. 

“Don’t touch him,” I growled, fear coursing through my veins. Our captors had to be Rogues, but how had they gotten in? How was Henry not being tackled right now by the many guards inside? I stared closely at Henry, and suddenly I knew how they were going unnoticed. They were dressed in formal clothing, like any other shifter inside, and his eyes weren’t red. I knew they had to be wearing contacts, because it was impossible for their eyes to be anything but red. I growled again, furious. “What do you want?”

The captors laughed, and the knife bit harder into my throat. Their arms were locked around my body, immobilizing me. Beside me, Tristan seemed to grow angrier the longer they held us, and soon he tried to struggle out of their hold.

“Henry...” my captor taunted, holding onto me tighter even though it was Tristan who was struggling. I watched, horrified, as Sam laughed at something Lila said, oblivious to Henry now reaching into his coat.

“NO!” I yelled, terrified. “Tristan, please, stop!” At my pleading words, Tristan gave his captor one last shove before he grunted in frustration, but thankfully, ceased his struggles. 

“I told you not to yell, you little brat!” the knife cut into my throat even more, and I sucked in a breath, freezing my struggling efforts. I didn't want to see how far they'd let me go before causing any serious damage with the knives.

“Please, just tell us what the hell you want and tell Henry to back off from Sam!” I whispered urgently, angry that they had leverage over us. Over me. 

I received a blow from behind me which made my knees buckle involuntarily, causing me to fall, but luckily the captor called of Henry. 

My dress snagged on a couple rocks on the ground as I fell, and I cursed under my breath, knowing my dress would be ruined. Already, I could feel my hair ruined from the fall, my dress dirty and ripped from the impact of hitting the grass and catching on the pebbles. Tristan tried to help me stand again, but his captor held him still with his own knife, and Tristan swore.