𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟽

𝑨𝒍𝒍 𝒍𝒊𝒎𝒊𝒕𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇-𝒊𝒎𝒑𝒐𝒔𝒆𝒅.

NASREEN

NASREEN

St. Nicholas Hospital.

9:32 am

I was making notes when I felt someone come up behind me. Without turning, I used my side eye to make out the person's shoes.

"You know, if you are going to sneak up on me, You should try wearing shoes that I haven't seen before." I said, turning to face Basma.

"Eish, What happened? You look like the walking dead." Basma had obvious bags under her eyes, Her skin was pale and her back slouched.

"24-hour call. That's what happened." She said dropping her overnight bag on the countertop, Her eyes heavy-lidded with tiredness.

"Those kind of days huh. Aren't you supposed to have left though?" I said looking at the time.

"Yes, but my car is at the shop, So I'm waiting for Anas to come pick me up." Anas was Basma's husband. They were complete opposites, Basma was a sarcastic, tough on the outside type of person whereas Anas was coolheaded and thoughtful, much like Junaid actually, It was why she had taken a liking to him.

"Oh. He's probably just stuck in traffic."

"Probably. You know, I called you yesterday." Basma stated casually.

"Oh my God, Yes. I'm so sorry. I meant to call back but I was busy." I said apologetically, I was so preoccupied with Salim, it slipped my mind.

Immediately i thought of Salim, my heart raced. My mind went back to when he held my hands in front of Jalila. I couldn't explain the guilt I felt standing there with my hands in his. I wondered what the need was to stand up for me, A major part of me felt he saw me as a pity case, he did mention he hated bullies. But a minuscule inkling wanted it to be that he felt something, Something that made him want to defend me. But of course, I tucked that thought at the farthest part of my mind, never to be be dwelled upon again.

"Busy? That's a first. With what?"

"A date." I said without much thought, immediately going back to my notes.

Basma first chuckled, then came a chortle, After that she just burst into a full on guffaw.

I had to take a pause on my notes and look at her.

"What are you laughing at?" I said looking around, Maybe she had seen something I hadn't.

"You." She laughed, wiping away a tear.

"What? Why?" I stared at her, unsure how to react.

"You really want me to believe that You. Nasreen Burja that is known for avoiding speaking to people of the opposite gender went on a 'Date'." She said making airquotes around the word date.