𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟾

𝑰𝒕'𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒂𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒌𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒕, 𝒊𝒕'𝒔 𝒂𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒌𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒔𝒕.

OMNISCIENT

Nelson Bossman street. House 49.

Nasreen stared at the text then back at the oak doors. It was the right house, then why wasn't she answering? She knocked again with more force than the first time. She looked down to her tightly knit knees, suddenly regretting why she drank 2 bottles of water before driving down all the way here.

Her prayers answered, the locks on the door finally clicked and the door opened to reveal Maryam.

"Nasreen...hey!" She greeted with a smile.

"Hi." Nasreen forced a smile. She felt as though her bladders would burst if she didn't use the bathroom anytime soon. So she immediately raised the polished, cream coloured envelope in the air. "Your test results."

Maryam collected it. "Thank you so much Nas. I-"

"Yes yes, you're welcome." She cut in when she couldn't hold it in any longer. "But can I PLEASE use your bathroom?"

"Oh." Pointing to a corridor accross the room, Maryam said quickly. "The bathroom is right over there, last door on your left."

Without a second wasted, Nasreen handed Maryam the envelope and ran down in the direction Maryam pointed.

After shutting the door, Maryam peered at the envelope, wondering what it's content held. While a major part of her held high hopes of the results being in the negative, a slight part couldn't help but feel despair at the thought it was going to come back as it always has, with that little scrawny doctor's note at the bottom saying telling her that there was nothing wrong with her.

How pathetic, she thought, here she was actually hoping for something to be wrong with her when there were thousands of women out there praying for not. She sighed. If the results came back in the negative, then at least she would know the source of the problem, she would know where to begin and how to tackle it, but it was more frustrating when you didn't even know what was wrong with you, even more so when you didn't have anyone's support by your side.

The deep emotions that stirred within her were beginning to manifest as her fingers started to tremble and her eyes started to sting with impending tears. Only then, standing there, torn, did she realize that she was in no fit state to open that envelope, whatever the results might have been. She quickly curled up her hands into fists and wiped the small stream of tears that managed to form. Letting out a breath, she decided that she was going to keep the results until later when she deemed herself fit to open it.