28 - Serendipity

April 19th

I'd trained the entire week with the help of my friends and Professor McGonagall. I decided to take a break today. It was my mother's death anniversary. I'd asked in advance for the day off classes, and Dumbledore had granted me permission. I snuggled up to my pillow, feeling dazed. "We're going to breakfast if you're up for it," Hermione asked gently. "Sure," I gave a grin. Distracting myself would be a good idea. We walked into the great hall, Draco looking at me from the Slytherin table. He gave me a small understanding smile. I nodded at him.

We sat down, and I took a few bites of my food. Everyone was quiet today. "Go on, talk," I pleaded. "Just make it feel normal, please," I asked. "So back to the chicken jokes?" Ginny laughed. "Bloody hell Ginny, leave me alone," Ron sneered. I couldn't help but smile. I took a few bites of food, then set my fork down. I wasn't particularly hungry. The tone returned to normal, as I listened in on the conversation. I didn't feel like talking, but I didn't like the silence either; I most definitely didn't want anyone's sympathy.

I decided I would spend my day wandering the gardens. Something peaceful, pleasant on the mind. I waved goodbye to my friends, giving Draco a little smile. I wanted to go alone. I took my wand with me, sliding it into my pocket, taking Lorelei on her leash and with me. she was good company. We walked through the gardens, the scent of honeysuckle and morning dew filling my nostrils. Lorelei sniffed at the strands of green grass, swatting at the butterflies that flew in the air around us. A warm breeze sifted through my light brown curls, beams of sunshine giving everything around me a golden glow. Ironic.

I'd taken Mother's book with me. I found a small clearing, and lied down on a small patch of dry grass. Lorelei sat next to me, as I flipped through the delicate pages, as if the paper itself was made of magic. Birds chirped in the distance, but all I could hear were Bellatrix's evil cackles, as she murdered my mother. "I miss you Mom," I whispered into the air. I stared into the sky, lying on my back, spotting clouds, finding pictures inside them. "I don't even know what to do for you," I sat up, stumped. "I hope you're proud of me," I said, as a bright blue monarch butterfly fluttered up to us, landing on my nose. I giggled. "I'll take that as a yes," I breathed quietly, not wanting to scare it away.

It slowly bat it's wings, Lorelei looking up at me in awe. She raised her paw. "Don't you dare," I moved her paw back to the ground. Suddenly, she turned to where I had entered. Someone was following me.

DRACO'S POV

I followed Caroline through the gardens. I knew she wanted some time to herself, but I couldn't help it for Merlin's sake. I watched as she sat down in the middle of a soft patch of grass, her soft golden curls flowing in the wind. She gave off a soft glow as beams of sunshine landed on her skin. She whispered to herself, under her breath. I didn't catch anything she said; I was too busy looking at her. She seemed at peace; angelic. Suddenly, a beautiful blue butterfly landed upon her nose. She giggled in delight. God, she was out of this world; was she even real? Bloody hell, how could someone be so perfect?

I shifted my feet, revealing myself. Her cat spotted me first, prancing over to me, her leash cutting her short. Caroline turned around flustered. "Malfoy," she said surprised. "Can I sit?" I asked softly. She motioned for me to come over, the butterfly flying away, back towards a flower. I sat next to her, in silence, taking her delicate hand in mine. "Why'd you follow me?" she looked at me. The specks of green in her eyes seemed to brighten. "I don't know. Thought deep down you might want someone to talk to," I sighed, laying down in the grass. "You made a good assumption," she whispered, laying her head on my chest.

We laid peacefully, the chirps of birds and the swaying of grass filling the silence. Her hand rested in mine, as she stared up at the clouds. Lorelei cuddled up next to our feet. "I thought you had classes today?" she asked. "Skipped," I answered quite simply. "You're more important," I squeezed her hand a little tighter. "You are so stubborn," she laughed. "I know, I know," I smiled. "We should just lay here forever," she sighed. "I'd like that," I responded.

We laid there, talking and laughing in the grass for hours. Her smile was contagious. The heavens melted from bright blue to pinks and oranges, stars trickling into the night sky. "Have we really been out this long?" She giggled, laying on my lap. "I guess I'm that easy to talk to," I smiled, brushing grass out of her curls. "Yes, you are," she lay on top of me, giving me a small kiss. "We should get back, silly," I stood, picking her up. We began to walk out of the garden, Lorelei prancing in front us. Fireflies filled the air, crickets chirping in the nearby forests. "We missed dinner," she said. "I'm sure Dumbledore wouldn't mind us grabbing a quick bite," I said, her hand in mine as we walked back to the castle.

Dinner wasn't quite over, a few students still sat eating at their tables. Slytherin table was nearly empty, so we sat together. We both took a plate of vegetables and roast beef. She took large bites of food, devouring it down. "You're quite hungry," I chuckled. "Missed lunch just to hang out with you," she said in between bites. I smiled. Once our stomachs were full, we walked back to the common room. I gave her a kiss on the cheek before turning around to go back downstairs. "Draco?" she said softly. "Thank you for everything," she smiled. "Of course," I squeezed her hand one last time before letting go. "Goodnight Malfoy," she waved. I grinned.

"Goodnight Bellegreen."